As I type there has been a piece of some food (a shaved brussel sprout? a nut?) stuck in my throat for almost a day. I can still breathe fine, but if you know me, you know it’s taking everything within me not to rip my hair out – I have been very vocal about my fear of death by neck. At any rate, I tried so many natural remedies (singing, tea, yawning, drinking whilst lying down, swallowing with my chin tucked in, chugging Diet Coke) but nothing is working. HELP!
Sorry to start a blog post off with such a bummer of a tale. Amazing things are actually happening with my acting career! Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to divulge any of it. Yet. But basically I’m really really really happy to be part of all the projects I’ll be working on through next summer. Make sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for announcements!
Now here is something I CAN share. I whipped up these gluten-free blondies this morning for two potlucks I have to attend tonight. I adapted the recipe from Cup4Cup’s website, who also provided samples for me to try. Cup4Cup is a gluten-free flour (developed by French Laundry chefs) that you can use 1:1, which is great for someone like me who’s baking-challenged even with gluten.
I also used these chocolate chips since they’re also gluten-free – and vegan! I replaced the butter with coconut oil, but the recipe has egg in it – maybe another time I’ll try using a chia seed egg so it’ll be more all-diet friendly.
Adapted from Cup4Cup's Halloween Candy Blondies recipe
- 2 cups Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons liquid egg whites (or 2 large eggs)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Spray 2 8x8 pans and preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- If your coconut oil is solid, take the lid off and microwave it in 30 second increments, or until it is melted. Pour into a liquid measuring cup.
- Mix the flour and salt together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the oil and sugar together. Add the egg whites and vanilla. Continue mixing until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide evenly amongst the two pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
P.S. December 4th is National Cookie Day! If you don’t have time to make any, Milk Jar Cookies is offering 15% off all online orders with the code JINGLE15 on Monday only. They have gluten-free ones! Hallelujah!