“In order to demand respect, you have to give respect as well.” – Nguyen Tran
As promised, here is my interview with Starry Kitchen’s Nguyen Tran! This podcast has been a long time in the making – I’ve done countless blogs, videos, and social media posts with Nguyen, but this is the first time I had a chance to really spend a good chunk of time (an hour!) talking to him.
In this episode, we go into the history of Starry Kitchen’s various restaurant incarnations, and talk about the cookbook, which just came out (get the Spicy Korean Noodle dish). Nguyen also shares his history with Vietnamese food, how he became friends with his childhood bully, why smiling changed his life, what it’s like being married to SK Ninja Chef Thi Tran, Funemployment, and the history of the infamous banana suit.
You can listen to the episode and subscribe on iTunes, where you can also write a review. Theme music is by Podcast Guest #85, Goh Nakamura. If you have any questions for me for my 100th podcast, you can email them to me here!
- White on Rice + Surrogate Valentine movies
- Bun Rieu (Vietnamese Crab Noodle Soup) – the first dish Thi cooked for Nguyen
- George Yu – The King of Chinatown
- Button Mash
- Nguyen’s favorite spots in LA: Howlin Rays, Cemitas Poblanas Don Adrian, Pho Filet
- Follow Nguyen: Site| Instagram | Twitter | Facebook