Who else loves Lea Salonga? Between Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, and Aladdin, I pretty much wanted to pull a Little Mermaid and steal her gorgeous voice all through high school. Now that I’m an adult, I’ll accept reality and just make a dessert in her honor – Filipino Ube Bread Pudding!
This is Ube Bread from Leelin Bakery. It comes already sweetened, like a pound cake. Ube, for those of you not familiar with it, is a purple yam from The Philippines. It tastes like a sweet potato with sugar. Love the purple color it gives to everything – from Halo Halo to milkshakes.
I decide to cook this in the crockpot because it’s just too darn hot to turn on an oven.
Also, I use up what we have in the house – Unsweetened Almond Milk, Liquid Egg Whites, and pumpkin spice. I fear it will be a bit too random, but it actually turns out very good. It goes great with a scoop of Ube Ice Cream, of course. I wonder if Lea Salonga would approve?
- 5-6 slices Ube Bread, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Liquid Egg Whites
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 Heaping Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- Spray the Slow Cooker to prevent sticking
- Place the Ube Bread in the bottom
- Mix remaining ingredients well, add to the crockpot
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, until a toothpick comes out clean