Kimchi + Nutritional Yeast = Vegan Queso Magic
I’m getting ready for a road trip so I haven’t kept a stocked fridge for the last couple days. We’ve been surviving on leftovers from a lunch with Hilah, freezer burritos, and this Kimchi Vegan Queso. It’s a total accident that’s kinda perfect for Cinco De Mayo.
Honestly, I wasn’t even planning on blogging about this experiment. But it turned out so good, I whipped my camera out before the sun went to bed, and grabbed a few shots so I could share the recipe with y’all! It comes together really quickly in a small saucepan and cleans up easily – unlike some “real” cheese sauces.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped kimchi with its juice (vegan)
- 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Mix together the nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the kimchi/water and whisk thoroughly until combined and thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut oil until melted, then add salsa and mix through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with chips.