Brown Butter Popcorn Recipe for Oscars so White.
Looooong gone are the days of practicing my Oscar speech in the bathroom. I’ve come to a point in my career where I’ve accepted that dream is over for me. I will never be up on that stage clutching a statue and thanking my manager with tears streaming down my face. To be honest, I have yet to find representation that I would ever be thankful for. If you’re finding this post after googling “actors agents managers assholes” you are definitely not alone.
However, I am looking forward to when my fellow Asian-American actors are nominated on a regular basis. But that day still feels so so so far away, sadly.
Despite the Oscars so White controversy, I honestly am not that excited about any of the best picture nominees this year. I’ve seen them all, and there aren’t any that scream “OSCAR!” to me (though I did like The Martian a lot).
I can wholeheartedly recommend this brown butter popcorn recipe, however. Unlike tonight’s ceremony, it contains some brown love. Make a big batch and drown your sorrows if you’re feeling like giving Hollywood two middle fingers. It’s the perfect combination of salty and rich and cynical.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt to Taste
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium high.
- Once it is hot, add the popcorn, cover with a lid and shake well.
- Leave the lid slightly open so steam can escape.
- When the popcorn is done (wait until the popping sounds slow down to a 3 second interval between pops) put in a large bowl.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepan - heat over medium and watch it - let it melt, turn brown. Remove from heat and pour it over the popcorn.
- Add the parmesan and salt to taste.