The best bacon and eggs? YES, the best. After eating this caramel bacon…
…and these eggs at Project Breakfast LA, I had to know HOW. The presentation is so stunning, yet she makes it all look so stupid simple.
Sarah is kind enough to share her recipes! First up, the bacon. Which is basically just two ingredients – caramel and meat.
- Caramel Candy
- Source the best quality bacon you can find. (This was Peads and Barnetts Heritage Pork Bacon.)
- Melt down the Caramels in a small pot on the stovetop. Once you have the caramel in liquid form, set aside.
- Lay the bacon on a lined sheet tray in a single layer. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven.
- Cook the bacon about halfway through, then pull it out and add some of the now rendered hot bacon fat into the pan, with the caramel.
- Brush the bacon with the bacon fat / caramel mixture (just like you are basting it), then finish cooking in the oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
The result is the chewiest, sweetest pork product you ever did eat. Yet hot and crispy at the same time. Death bed food, for sure.
Next up, the Baked Eggs, which can be done with any vegetable combo you like. I love that the seasonal veggies she uses here, and serves them straight out of the oven.
- Caramelize leeks and shallots as the base, then add them to the Kale, Mushrooms, Delicata Squash and Cherry Tomatoes.
- Roast the vegetables (tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper) about 80% of the way to finished.
- Crack eggs over them and add cheese of your choice (this is Drake Family Farms Chèvre).
- Finish baking in oven at 400 for 10-12 min (for softer set eggs). Enjoy!
Thank you Sarah, not only for feeding me one of the best brunches ever, but sharing your talents. Check out more food and fun on her blog, La Femme Epicure (or just hire her to cook for you).