LA Cake Club was born earlier this year, and, after seeing what when down, I was determined not to miss it again. I also knew I was going to be in the presence of some hardcore bakers, and my usual go-to cake recipe wouldn’t cut it. Vanilla Wafer Coconut Cake!
Still used a box, though. I saw Trisha Yearwood make this cake entirely out of cookies (no flour) and was sold.
Altered the recipe a tad, with sweetened flaked coconut, cutting down the sugar (using the fancy Bourbon kind)…
…and replacing the nuts with (gasp) sunflower seeds.
Also omitted – glaze…
…but I did top the bundt with more coconut…
- 2 sticks butter, room temp
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 12 oz box Vanilla Wafers
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter/sugar, then add eggs/vanilla.
- Crush the wafers/seeds, add them to the mixture - along with the coconut.
- Pour into a well sprayed bundt pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes before turning over, top with additional shredded coconut if desired.