White Cauliflower “Pizza”

January 6, 2014

in gluten free, recipe, vegetarian

I got inspired at the Larchmont Farmers Market on yesterday! One of the things purchased was cauliflower.

DSCN9228

Intended to just roast it whole (like the recipe I posted on my Facebook Page) but then realized I needed to use up some egg whites before they expired. A quick google search of “cauliflower + egg whites” led to many recipes featuring Gluten-Free “Cauliflower Pizza.” I combined a number of them to make this one.

DSCN9230

First, blend/process the Medium-Sized Cauliflower Head (several batches) to make “rice.” Nuke it in the microwave for 8 minutes, uncovered.

DSCN9235

Then, drain 12 ounces of marinated mozzarella (save the oil!).

DSCN9245

DSCN9252

Add that to the Cauliflower Mixture, along with 1/2 a cup of egg whites, a teaspoon of Dried Basil/Onion Powder/S+P. Microwave another 2 minutes, so everything gets all melty…

DSCN9259

…then press into a greased 9×13 pan.

DSCN9263

DSCN9268

Bake at 450 for 30-35 minutes, until a nice crust forms.

DSCN9301

DSCN9315

Then, slice and eat!

DSCN9318

Despite the crust that forms, this isn’t exactly crispy. Very soft and chewy, from the cheese.

DSCN9327

DSCN9332

Overall we gave it a thumbs up, but I found it to be a little TOO salty – you may want to cut back on seasonings. Or try topping it with tomato sauce?

DSCN9323

1 allie@sweetpotatobites January 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

I keep wanting to try cauliflower pizza but haven’t done it yet! You’ve inspired me to give it a go :)

2 Lez January 6, 2014 at 11:58 am

Looks delicious! :)
In regards to the overall seasoning being too salty, do you think it was because of the mozzarella? I personally find that marinated mozzarella can be too salty since it’s meant to be eaten as is. Maybe next time, you should try using unsalted mozzarella and see how that works out! :)

3 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 6, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I totally need to try this!!!!

4 Lindsay January 7, 2014 at 8:38 am

Yum! I’ve seen this before with sauce and cheese but I feel like cheese on cheese is a bit too much for me. I love that you served it as is! It would def be an awesome side dish, gotta try it!

5 Amy H January 7, 2014 at 9:13 am

I made this last night! It was really good! I added a cup of pasta sauce on top in the last 2 minutes of cooking, and then sprinkled it with a bit of Trader Joe’s Quattro Formaggio Shredded Cheese. It tasted a bit like Eggplant Parmesan! Thank you again, Lynn!

6 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet January 7, 2014 at 3:46 pm

YES. Yay!

7 Trevor Sis. Boom January 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Really interesting. THere is a ‘street food’ vibe to it. I would resist the urge to punch it up with sauce, etc. It is what it is and I think it would be perfect to put out with small plates as an appetizer and let people go to town on it.

8 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet January 7, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I also wound up putting it into between buttered bread and frying it like a grilled cheese sandwich. THAT worked.

9 penelope January 9, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thanks for the recipe, it was amazing……. :-)

10 Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence January 11, 2014 at 8:58 am

Wow, this looks so good! I love the flavor of caramelized/roasted cauliflower. I’m sure it’s divine when paired with mozzarella cheese :)