Rolling in the Deep Dish

January 1, 2014

in dessert, dinner, holidays

We had a lovely, mellow celebration over Giordano’s Stuffed Pizzas, a thank-you-for-doing-my-podcast gift shipped all the way from Chicago.

DSCN8566

DSCN9065

These were incredible! I didn’t have any of the regular cheese – just about 1/2 of the Sausage one. There was a lot of weird-sounding prep (thaw in the fridge, microwave first, pour on additional sauce, bake on the rack) but follow the directions, and you will be rewarded with a perfect result.

DSCN9067

DSCN9068

If you want to send someone a gift that will be really appreciated, this is it (thanks, Val)!

DSCN9072

photo

Deep Dish pizza isn’t traditional New Year’s food (that I know of) so I also roasted black-eyed peas for luck.

DSCN9038

2 cans rinsed/drained, tossed with Chili + Onion Powder (about a palmful each) and baked in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 425 degrees, stirring every 10.

DSCN9045

DSCN9049

(Just took the tree down – SNIFF!)

DSCN9056

Our friends Michelle and Quan joined us for the evening – and brought this lovely homemade flan for dessert…

DSCN9076

…a few had orange rind – which added a lovely bitterness to subdue the sweetness.

DSCN9084

Hope you’re having a terrific start to 2014!

1 Jenn@slim-shoppin January 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

That’s awesome they sent you that pizza! I’m from Chicago and there is a Giordano’s less than a mile from my house. I never thought of shipping it to someone!

Happy New Year!!!

2 Emily January 1, 2014 at 4:33 pm

That pizza looks unbelievable…
I’ve never actually had a real deep-dish pizza. Obviously I’ve been missing out!

Happy New Year, Lynn!

3 JB Christy January 1, 2014 at 4:34 pm

OMG, I used to LOVE Giordano’s Stuffed Pizza when I lived in Chicago! Absolutely the BEST! Helluva a New Year’s gift you got there. Glad you enjoyed it!

4 Sues January 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Whoa- that pizza is seriously deep dish! Happy New Year to you!! :)

5 Elaine January 2, 2014 at 5:26 am

I saw your husband in a buzzfeed video! :)
It was the one about problems only short people will understand. :D

6 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet January 2, 2014 at 7:33 am

How funny; I haven’t seen that one yet!

7 Elaine January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I AM ECSTATIC RIGHT NOW.
I ACTUALLY RECEIVED A REPLY FROM YOU.
I read your blog everyday!
I cannot tell you how much I admire, respect, and grateful for you and your blog. Your personality is awesome and your achievements, both personal and external, are ones to dream for.
Thank you for being such an amazing role model! :D
P.S. Your husband’s scene starts at 0:25 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRUd7-eeJSE

8 Elaine January 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm

(*am grateful for…)
whoops. grammar mistake… :o

9 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet January 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I love that my husband’s playing someone “tall” in this. And I love this message. Thank you so much!

10 Elaine January 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm

heuheuheu! That is true! I didn’t realize that until now! heheh.
Thank you again for creating this blog to share your life, thoughts, and messages with us.
You are probably told this a dozen times, but you really are an inspiration. :)

11 Tamara January 2, 2014 at 7:44 am

Ooh, Chicago-style deep dish pizza is amazing! Thanks for reminding me that it’s been WAY too long since I’ve had it. We have a local restaurant chain in metro Detroit that makes a respectable version, and my favorite has spinach and mushrooms inside. YUM!

Happy new year, Lynn!! xo

12 katecooks January 2, 2014 at 8:57 am

Yum, that pizza looks awesome! I got a deep dish pizza pan for Christmas and can’t wait to put it to good use :)