Alton Abe Emmy

September 23, 2013

in recipe, vegetarian

Last night Abe made dinner (and took photos) for me.

DSCN2948

This was Alton Brown’s recipe for Greek Chicken-Free Salad, from the latest Wired Magazine. He used “Chicken” from Beyond Meat

DSCN2951

…and added cherry tomatoes.

DSCN2959

DSCN2958

Tres, tres delicious.

photo 4

After the Emmy’s (was so pleased to see Janet’s headshot during the “Hosting Intervention” bit!) came Ben n Jerry’s Raspberry Fudge Chunk FroYo with a Tate’s Glten-Free Cookie.

DSCN2962

Despite warnings from loved ones that it could do further damage, I booked a massage yesterday at Healing Hands because I couldn’t handle the idea of lying on a couch for another 24 hours straight. I go there pretty often for my monthly pamperings, but this was the first time going in with something to be “fixed.” A minor miracle occurred on that massage table, with Meredith and her (literal) healing hands. I had to hold myself back from skipping outa the place. This morning I’m still feeling pain, but it’s so much less intense than it has been since Friday.

I still don’t know for sure what caused the back spasm – the only thing I can think of is spending 1 hour in a robotic massage chair while I got my mani/pedi at Nail Garden – maybe all that auto rolling/vibrating put my spine outta whack???

1 Ashley Quach September 23, 2013 at 9:55 am

A robot massage chair once threw a terrible kink in my back. It happens.

2 Goretti. Tada September 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

I feel for you. I few weeks ago I went to Disneyland on a Saturday. It was hot, a drank a margarita and not enough water. I rode a bunch of rough rides. The next day, I wake up normal and went about my morning routine. 2 hours after waking up, BANG! Back spams started. They got so bad (very 5 seconds) that I had to go to the ER. 2 hours later and THE strongest painkiller the ER had, I’m at home in bed for 2 days. But with no pain. Doctor said that I was dehydrated and sometimes that affects the muscles. Who knew? Hope you feel 100% today.

3 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet September 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

Oh geez! Guess I’m not going to Disneyland this week like we had planned!!!

4 lindsey, the "junk food sometimes, health food most times" vegan September 23, 2013 at 10:20 am

I love those chicken free strips! If you have a Tropical Smoothie (my love) near you, they offer the strips as an alternative in most of their chicken-based sandwiches. They’ve got pretty good texture for a meat replacement.

5 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet September 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Just looked up Tropical Smoothie – I’m intrigued!

6 Emily September 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

SO happy to hear that your back is feeling a little better. Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut and do what you think is best.

I’ve been so intrigued by those chicken-free strips- I’ll have to try them!

7 Caitlin September 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I struggle with back pain, too– it’s the absolute worst! I swear by these salonpas hot capsicum back patches to help alleviate some pain. http://amzn.com/B000BRPZPM

8 Stacey October 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Love beyond meat! (& Trop Smoothie!) Simply the best veggie meat!!