A Darling Lunch

October 5, 2012

in dessert, restaurant, salads, vegetarian

Does this look like someone who just had BRAIN SURGERY two weeks ago?!?

DSCN1433

I’m ecstatic to report that Jenny is doing AMAZING after getting her tumor removed. Less than one month ago we were doing a Healing Circle; yesterday I took her out for a celebration lunch!

photo.JPG

Jenny is not only the authority on Desserts/Weddings, she’s now also Healthy Darling, and requested a non-GMO, organic meal with lots of gluten-free options. And cheese. I knew Hugo’s would be the perfect place.

DSCN1435

Ordered a small Quinoa Beet Salad with goat cheese instead of gorgonzola…

DSCN1445

DSCN1448

…also tried a bite of Jenny’s Quinoa Mac n Cheese (a special order – you had to eat it with a spoon)…

DSCN1437

…and Enchiladas with black beans and yellow rice.

DSCN1441

The latter was much drier, but the quinoa was cheeserific!

Of course, you don’t go out with the Dessert Darling and not order sweets to share…

DSCN1461

…this is Hugo’s Pumpkin Pie with pumpkin seed brittle and a gluten-free coconut/pecan crust.

DSCN1455

It was just all right…we agreed the texture was weird (almost like tofu)…there was a bit too much spice, too.

DSCN1459

Only had a couple bites…

DSCN1466

…but we demolished the Vanilla Ice Cream. It’s still pretty warm in Los Angeles!

DSCN1460

Had a lot of girl time all day (Melanie in the morning, Christy in the late afternoon) so it was nice to just chill with my boys in the evening.

DSCN1474.JPG

DC Metro Area!!!

Lots of stuff happening in your ‘hood this weekend – both Nice Girls Crew and Daylight Savings are showing at the DC APA Film Festival, and Edie Sedgwick (the band I’m going on tour with in Europe) is playing a show with Dismemberment Plan. I won’t be at any of these events, but I WILL be in the city soon for rehearsals. Would love any restaurant recommendations!

1 Annie Guo October 5, 2012 at 8:09 am

Oh awesome! You’re coming to my new hood! I’ve recently had the pleasure of meeting your friend Phil over some beers– hope I’ll see you soon, too. :)

I think you would like Founding Farmers, Amsterdam Falafel (vegetarian, cheap, AYCE veggie toppings bar!), and possible Il Canale.

Happy Friday <3

Annie

2 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

yum! thanks annie! i don’t know my schedule but hopefully we can meet…over decaf tea!

3 Liz October 5, 2012 at 8:28 am

I’ve been following your blog for awhile, but have yet to comment! Just wanted to say that I think you are AMAZING and I religiously follow your blog! Anyway, I live in DC and definitely agree with Annie that you would probably like Founding Farmers. Also, Busboys and Poets is another great place!

Not sure if you’ll be with Abe or not but Ben’s Chili Bowl on U St. is a landmark restaurant in DC… their Chili Fries are great, as is pretty much everything there!

Have fun!

4 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

thanks for delurking Liz, and for your recs!

5 Rachael October 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

My neck of the woods! Georgetown Cupcake, if you’re willing to stand in line. Ben’s Chili Bowl is a big deal here for fast food. And even though it’s a chain, I liked Vapiano’s. Really, I haven’t had anything in the city I didn’t like!

6 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

thanks! i just saw a georgetown cupcake is opening in beverly hills too!

7 Dessert Darling October 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

I love you So much Lynn! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for my lovely celebratory lunch!!! XOXO

8 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

so happy to continue our foodie adventures xoxox

9 Brigid October 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

That’s awesome! I love Hugo’s for brunch. I will have to try a lunch sometime. Is that the WeHo location? I always go to Studio City because of the parking.

10 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

yes – the weho location has parking too – there’s also a garage right across the street.

11 Melissa @ Mouthwatering Morsel October 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

yay! that’s so great! So happy about the post!! :) and those sweets look delicious!