Flying Fruit

June 26, 2012

in fruit

Time flies…

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

…when there’s falling fruit!

IMG_3832

Didn’t take the fig home with me, but I was very happy to find that tree in my ‘hood. Returned to the usual…

IMG_5031

…as promised, here’s a link to where you can buy my melon-friendly spoons.

IMG_5038 IMG_5045

More fruit followed a few hours later…

IMG_5050

…some Chocolate and Raspberry Peanut Butter got scooped…

IMG_5051

…and so did some miso.

IMG_5062

I know it feels like summer pretty much everywhere else, but here in Los Angeles it’s still mellow. The fruit flies, however, know what season it is, and are very happy that everything I’m eating is super ripe!

Here’s how I keep them at bay – take an empty glass jar, fill the bottom with Apple Cider Vinegar. Poke a few holes on top (I used a hammer and nail, a la The Indigo Girls.)

They’ll fly in, but they won’t fly out!

1 Lisa June 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

2 Living, Learning, Eating June 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Do you know what the type of spoon is called? I really want one, but I don’t need a whole cutlery set and I definitely don’t have over a hundred dollars to spend on a spoon! I’m hoping I can find a cheaper version, if I know what type it is. Thanks!

3 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

No clue! It took forever to find it too. I think it may be discontinued?

4 Emily June 26, 2012 at 7:43 pm

What a brilliant idea! I just started noticing fruit flies in my kitchen this week. It’s definitely that time of year. Thanks for sharing!

5 Jessie June 26, 2012 at 8:02 pm

May be a dumb question, but how do the flies fit through the tiny holes? Or is that just a super large jar with fly-sized holes?

6 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

They fit!!!

7 Stacie@ Snaps and Bits June 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Wow does that really work? That would be awesome if I could keep the fruit flies outta my wine glass!

8 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 27, 2012 at 12:26 am

It really works! At least on the LA fruit flies!

9 Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking June 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I’m loving the fresh fruit this time of year and those fruit flies can be a nasty pain in the you know what! Love the tip, Lynn, thanks!
I’ve selected you for a Sunshine Award! You can find it here: http://365daysofbaking.blogspot.com/2012/06/smoothie-saturday-cantabananaberry.html
BIG, BIG hugs!!

10 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 27, 2012 at 12:24 am

Thanks so much!

11 CJ June 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm

You’ve got a perfect food story photo here … If you want to submit it, I usually post new photos on Saturdays … http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-story-photos/

12 Danielle June 27, 2012 at 5:48 am

Chocolate and raspberry peanut butter? Where has that been all my life? I’m going to have to track some down.

Great idea for the fruit flies. It’s getting to be pesky bug season here, so I’m going to try this.