Great Expectations

June 9, 2012

in dinner, gluten free, movies, sandwich, trader joe's

We went to Prometheus at The Arclight yesterday – I love their new giant display of posters…

Image 1

…featuring my pal from Seder, Robbie!

Image

Although I’ve seen (and am a fan of) all the Alien films, I actually went into this screening knowing nothing about it. Was thoroughly entertained, which is why I was stunned to hear so many people were disappointed???

I guess when you have low expectations, there’s more room for pleasant surprises. As with last night’s dinner – this was chèvre spread on Rudi’s – something I compiled forever ago but wound up in the freezer…

IMG_2844

…put it in the Sandwich Press for 6 minutes and held my breath. It turned out surprisingly well!

IMG_2850

Another shocker? These simple Haricots Verts – steamed in the microwave for 3 minutes and tossed with TJ’s Green Goddess Dressing, sea salt, and pepper.

IMG_2836

IMG_2841

I can’t believe there was a time (just two years ago?) when I avoided goat cheese. But since it’s in everything these days, it’s grown on me! Or my taste buds bought into the hype?

IMG_2857

Abe’s version was vegan, not Gluten-Free, made with Wayfare Cheese Spread. He read Ann Patchett’s new book while I studied lines.

IMG_2840

Vegan Pudding Pops for dessert!

IMG_2869

Not QUITE as wonderful as the ones from my childhood…nothing ever quite lives up to my memories, though.

IMG_2880

I liked this pre-bedtime combo better – frozen mango + hot chocolate.

There’s something really comforting when eating the same foods often – I always know how it’s going to taste and make me feel.

Heading to The O.C. to see my folks – last time it took 2.5 hours so I asked on twitter what the best time to drive down would be – did NOT like the responses!!! But since I’m now anticipating horrendous traffic, I won’t be terribly disappointed?

1 Tara Noland June 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

Your site is lovely, I am glad I stopped by. Cheers, Tara

2 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks Tara! Hope you come back and visit again!

3 Cindy June 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

Please refresh my memory. What are you using to make Popsicles? I saw some in the Williams Sonoma catalogue that were stupidly expensive. Do you like yours?

Welcome to the goat cheese life.

I’ve been out of pocket this past week so a little late, but crossing fingers and toes for your latest auditions.

4 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

the molds were from the 99-cent store and they work great!

5 Stacie@snapsandbits June 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

Good luck on your drive–I’ve done it before (but a long time ago). Bring some goat cheese ;)

6 elise June 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

my sister is lactose intolerant and adores goat cheese…has it in and on everything (recently baked it into chocolate brownies), so im soooo eager to like it to. but i just dont. youre right though, its so trendy that its in everything. especially vegetarian dishes that would otherwise be vegan. maybe i could grow to like it too…

7 Living, Learning, Eating June 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

I completely agree – I find my favorites and then I find that I just love eating them over and over again. I do make myself try new things, though, because they’re possibly new favorites waiting to be discovered! I haven’t eaten frozen pineapple in a while, but that picture makes me want some…

8 Lisa June 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

I can’t wait to watch Prometheus! I love anything sci-fi<3
Driving anywhere in LA gives me an anxiety attack. To valet or street park? Do I have cash, coins,.. where's my wallet?! Eek! : P

9 Erin Motz June 9, 2012 at 11:40 am

Prometheus looks so good, I can’t wait to see it, as cheesy as some others may have found it, haha. That sandwich… wow. Melted cheese on anything tastes good to me. And where did you get that popsicle holder thing?! A mini straw for keeping up with the melty juices… genius!

10 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

it’s from the 99-cents store!

11 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I really liked State of Wonder…one of her earlier books, Bel Canto, is one of my faves :)

12 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Bel Canto was terrific! I also loved “truth and beauty.”

13 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I will have to request truth and beauty from our library, I love her writing style! Thanks!

14 Megan Kennedy June 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I find comfort in having the same foods on a regular basis as well. Thank you for mentioning that!