The Hummus Waffle

February 28, 2012

in recipe, vegan

Did you know that yesterday was National Strawberry Day?

IMG_0909

I celebrated. Julius just watched.

IMG_0910

Hey, if you can’t fold the laundry, you don’t get the sweet stuff!!!

IMG_0913

Because of the blog, I’m now aware that pretty much every day can be celebrated culinarily. With the astronomical nature of everything in cyberspace, I’m always shocked when there’s something food-related that I can’t find online.

I wanted to make a savory waffle for dinner, and wondered if hummus could be put in the batter. It seemed so logical to me, and yet I only found ONE post (ironically, by my blog buddy Sarena). There were a few about waffle falafel (using chickpea flour), a couple where you use hummus as “the syrup”, and only a couple for pancakes. I wound up following this one, and veganized it for y’all.

Used this Cayenne flavor from Majestic Garlic, which gave it a little kick.

IMG_0917

Mixed and waited for Abe to come home from work (about an hour)

IMG_0920

Cooked in Amy’s fancy iron on Medium Low…

IMG_0935

…smeared with Creamy Garlic

IMG_0941

You can use a fork, but they’re a lot more fun to devour with your fingers…

IMG_0946

…light, fluffy, and definitely falafel-esque. If you have a waffle iron and some hummus, I highly recommend you whip up a batch!

Hummus Waffles (adapted from Tri to Cook; serves 2)

• 1/2 cup white flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup + 2 TB Non-Sweetened Almond Milk
  • 1 TB ground flax seed
  • 1tsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup hummus

Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. The batter will be thick. Pour into a sprayed, preheated waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.

IMG_0952

Wasn’t feeling incredibly hungry, so I ate a small plum for dessert -

IMG_0956

Still craved chocolate. Whenever I see a new candy bar, I grab one and add it to my freezer stash.

IMG_0963

The 3 Musketeers Coconut is still nougat-y and fluff-y. You won’t find any actual flakes inside.

IMG_0966

So…I’m curious how many people found this post because you were searching for a hummus waffle recipe? Hopefully after this, many more people will make them, and there will be an internet revolution.

5E8A97A7-AD58-43F9-B0F7-66699348E278.jpg

Actually just woke up to discover today is Pancake Day (at IHOP). I still think you should make hummus waffles!!!

1 Jin February 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Wow! Looks so good! I’m going to get myself a waffle maker…

2 Lauren February 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

Wow, a savory waffle is something I would never really think of. Looks great though!

3 Catalina @ Cake with Love February 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

I had once a savory waffle served with frien chicken and I loved it!

4 Cindy February 28, 2012 at 10:52 am

My little chickpea brain is blown. Hummus waffles!

5 Joyo February 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Yay for savory waffles! They look/sound so delicious!

6 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) February 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Haha, you know I have to comment on the hummus waffle! They are soooooo good! I use savory waffles for sandwiches all the time. They are perfect especially with eggs! I know what I’m doing for dinner now!

7 shannon February 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I was just thinking about these the other day!! love that you turned them into waffles :) and i need to make them again soon!

8 pure2rawtwins February 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

hummus waffle yes please!!! love it! put a waffle maker on my wedding registry haha
I need waffles in my life!

9 Chetney February 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Mmmm Waffles! I’ve never had a savory waffle, but I have had Chicken N’ Waffles so maybe that counts! I’ve got to try this! Great idea!

10 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm

A hummus waffle sounds great! Savoury waffles are all the rage these days.

11 Katie @KatieDid March 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm

What a brilliant idea! I pretty much exclusively eat savory breakfasts so this sounds so appealing.

12 G. July 10, 2012 at 1:28 am

This idea is great! I love hummus. Wondering if this also works in American pancakes by adding some bakingsoda, backingpowder and recplace the almond milk for buttermilk insted.

13 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet July 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

Lemme know how it turns out!!!

14 Felicia April 7, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hey there! I found this recipe via your guest post on Dramatic Pancake and am SO glad I did! I made it for a potluck yesterday, and we all loved it so much that I had to come let you know directly. Thanks for sharing!

15 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet April 8, 2013 at 7:36 am

Very glad to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

16 Mario April 13, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Ciao Lynn and greetings from Northern California. Great blog. Great name. Great post on humus waffles. But did you stop writing? Well, I hope that its because of great acting and culinary adventures. I am a first time visitor and will be back to see if you are back.
If you do read this, I also write a blog about food but with my thoughts on relationships, friends and family. Please visit. Maybe follow. that would be cool.

17 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet April 13, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hey Mario – thanks for your comment! I definitely did NOT stop blogging – I do it twice a day! Come back and visit often!