Sandwich Iron

February 28, 2012

in sandwich, trader joe's

If you read my post this morning on “Thick Dumpling Skin” you can probably guess what was on the menu for brunch!

Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 1.50.12 PM.png

I made a Peanut Butter and Fig Syrup one, on Trader Joe’s Rustic Sourdough Bread

IMG_0666

The other day, I made this same sandwich for Abe – waffle-ized

IMG_0667

…he said it was delicious, but cleaning the iron with a Q-tip afterwards was not so fun.

IMG_0676

This time, I tried wrapping it in foil to prevent mess…

IMG_0978

…the lid doesn’t close the whole way, so you have to set a timer. I went with 5 minutes, since the bread was frozen.

IMG_0981

Um…I guess I know why it’s called a waffle maker and not a sandwich one.

IMG_0984

The bread never got crisp, either, just steamed.

IMG_0990

Still, hot sandwiches are so much better than cold ones…

IMG_0991

…but I think if I AM going to invest in a waffle iron, it will have to be one with a panini press too. There’s one by Cuisinart and another (cheaper) one by George Foreman. Does anyone have either, or another recommendation?

1 Jessica February 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

The breville panini press is amazing!

2 allie@sweetpotatobites February 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I have the cuisinart and love it – it’s just so versatile! you can do pancakes, or waffles, or paninis…the list goes on!

3 Cindy February 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I don’t have this particular cuisinart iron (it’s the one I would like to buy), but it is the most versatile of all the options. I have had very very very good success with Cuisinart products, and have found them worth the money. Life span has been at least ten years on any of their products. I agree with Jessica that the Breville panini press is fantastic, but that’s all you can use it for.

4 Teresapalooza!! February 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I think in thrift-terms, so my suggestion would be to take a peek at your local Goodwill or Out of the Closet. Last time I checked, my Goodwill had 10 or 12 George Foreman grills and sandwich presses looking for good homes – all under $20! I replaced my crappy one with a double-wide one with removable nonstick plates. :)

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm

you genius. by the way, we need to have a thrifting date one day.

6 theawkwardbaker February 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Definitely go with the George Foreman. My mom has one and I’ve missed it ever since I moved out. Seriously a great sandwich press.

7 wyn February 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I have the Cuisinart and love it. It’s so easy to cook with it and then to subsequently clean. I didn’t know there were waffle plates. That intrigues me!

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food February 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

The Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler rocks (I got it). — but I doubt you can make waffles with it. — the (pricey) All-Clad Classic Round Waffle Maker is great for thinner, crispy waffles (got that one, too).

9 sophia February 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I have the cuisinart, it’s great. The waffle iron part works really well, and so do the other attachments. Good luck!

10 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

that’s very helpful, sophia – thanks so much!

11 Rachael February 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I used to have the george forman thing that converted between a grill/sandwich press/waffle iron. It was cool when I actually used it, and most everything was dishwasher safe, but all the bits and pieces took up a lot of space in my cabinet, and the box was even bigger. I ended up getting rid of it recently (I moved about a year and a half ago into a smaller apartment w/less space, and it ended up just sitting in my closet for that entire year…) I know there is a website (I don’t remember) where people can actually rent things they don’t often use from others (like waffle irons, panini presses, etc.) I can’t remember the website though!

12 Molly February 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

i love how much you’re using the waffle iron!

13 actorsdiet February 29, 2012 at 9:38 am

yeah – i think it has a lot to do w knowing i have to give it back soon!

14 Monet February 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I really want a panini press…they make such a difference! And I completely agree, hot sandwiches are so much better than cold. Thank you for the email about the showing during SXSW. I only wish you were coming!

15 jwen February 29, 2012 at 2:30 am

I use one of those water bottle scrubby brushes to clean my waffle maker, I just make sure it’s unplugged first, scrub away and dry really quickly so that the water doesn’t get into places it shouldn’t.