The “D” Word

February 17, 2012

in body image/beauty, eating disorders, snacks

(Image Source)

Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 9.30.36 PM

Despite the name of this blog, I really don’t believe in “Diets.” And yet, if you were to just look at certain pictures without reading the surrounding posts, you would think, “Diet Food.” Like breakfast this morning:

IMG_9675

I’ll admit that in the last few days, I actually AM watching what I eat. You see, I have a photo shoot with the fabulous Robert Dahey this weekend, where I’ll be getting pretty bare. The last thing I want to do is feel bloated while I’m trying to look all sexy. It’s not really about WHAT I digest that affects my body, it’s HOW MUCH I’m consuming. And when I’m at a restaurant or noshing with other peeps, it’s too easy to get caught up in the enjoyment and wind up overly full. Which is fine every other day of the year, when I can throw on some Spanx, but not when I’ll be in a tight/skimpy outfit, baring my soul into a camera lens.

I don’t want to deprive myself, either. Luckily these perfectly-portioned packages arrived from the Olomomo Nut Company today…

IMG_9681.jpg

…just as I was packing my snack bag for tomorrow:

IMG_9661

I’m bringing a bunch of items, including this Ppushu Ppushu (no idea how to pronounce that) which is literally…

IMG_7531

…Dry Ramen. NO WATER.

IMG_7537

That sounds intriguing, but I also included some sure-fire favorites, including Crunch n Munch

IMG_9665

…and Fudge-Covered Oreos

IMG_9667

As much as I dislike using the word “diet,” I also try to steer clear of labeling foods as “good” or “bad;” “junk” or “healthy.” But let’s be realistic, eating a package of Olomomo Nuts – which has no added oils – is probably going to leave me feeling/looking physically better than if I ate the sodium-filled ramen snack.

IMG_9677

I tore through half a package of the Cherry Vanilla Dream Almonds while driving back from Joy’s this afternoon, along with an apple.

IMG_9694

Speaking of my lovely friend, check out the amazing shots Robert took of her – YOWZA…

IMG_12741-1024x682.jpg

…hope I can look half as va-va-voom!!!

I’ll be out of my sweatpants/no makeup element and thus, I’m slightly anxious/excited about this shoot. Whenever the nerves are running at full speed, I tend to lose my appetite. So in summary, I’ve no idea what I’ll end up noshing on tomorrow, but part of my eating disorder recovery has been giving myself plenty of options, and no rules. I’m bringing other snacks like fresh fruit, cheese + crackers, energy bars/shakes, etc. I may eat none of it. As usual, I just want to honor what my body is craving but also be mindful of how I want to feel – it’s going to be a long day, with 4-5 hours driving included on top of a full day of posing. A sugar crash is not going to be welcome, but I also want to enjoy my favorite road trip/crafts service bites too.

I know I’m not being obsessive about what I’m consuming (by counting calories, pre-planning it all, weighing myself, etc.) so I’m confident I’m doing fine. Whether it looks like a “diet” or not.

1 Jesse Lujan February 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thanks Lynn, I had to share this with my sister who always goes on ” diets” that only end up frustrating her and don’t really seem to work.

2 The Mouse February 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm

It’ll be good. Enjoy yourself. :)

3 Emily February 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm

This is such a great post. I love that you focus on listening to your body, no matter what situation you’re in. Those nuts sound sensational, by the way.
That’s so exciting that you’re working with Robert Dahey! I actually met him when I was in school (they brought in various headshot photographers for us to meet when we were preparing to graduate) He’s so sweet and extremely talented. Have an amazing shoot! <3

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm

thanks, emily! that’s so funny you already know him – what a small world!

5 hippierunner February 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Good luck and have fun!

6 Chloe February 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I sometimes ate those Ppushu Ppushu when I was younger. (I am Korean, go figure ^^) I also used to do it with just regular instant ramen. Pretty much the same thing :) Koreans call it Ssang-Ramen (“Sang” colloquially means “raw” or “uncooked”) Strange, I hate instant ramen now…. Anyways, have fun at your photo shoot! I bet you are gonna look fabulous!

7 Estela @ Weekly Bite February 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

What a wonderful post! It sets a good example that an actors can honor their cravings and not deprive themselves. Thanks for sharing :)

8 Lauren February 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm

So excited for you Lynn! I think when we get anxious, not matter what the situation, our natural tendency is to try and control something. Food is usually the first thing that comes easily but I know what you mean…it’s just in a completely different way than it once was. You’ll look amazing, even if you did go for the Raman. :)

9 chezjulie February 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Looks like you have lots of options for noshing.

10 Sarah K. stylist February 18, 2012 at 1:29 am

Don’t worry you will be amazing!
And I have beautiful dresses and outfits for you! It’s gonna be super fun..
See you tomorrow!

Sarah K

11 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

thanks, sarah! your work is gorgeous – hopefully when we reschedule i’ll still be able to work with you!

12 sassyorangejuice February 18, 2012 at 1:58 am

All the best with the shoot!!

13 Joss February 18, 2012 at 6:37 am

Being a person trying to get over compulsive over eater/binge eater…I totally know what you mean by trying to stay away from the D word – it really doesn’t help any situation. For me it just makes things worse…it magnifies the situation I’m in. I usually have to repeat to myself…food is just food. Get over it. Kinda thing…lol if that makes sense.

14 maris callahan February 18, 2012 at 6:46 am

Can’t wait to see the photos! You will be great!

15 Jessica February 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I love your blog for this reason! I love reading about how your food life is so rich and balanced. Melon for breakfast, 1,000 cupcakes for dinner. You make it work!

16 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

ha! that’s me, in a nutshell! thanks, jessica :)