House Odors

January 29, 2012

in crockpot recipe, fruit, gluten free, vegan

Ahhhh! How glorious to wake up smelling roses – thanks again Phil and Joanna!

IMG_7195

We walked into Larchmont this morning. Picked up some 1/2 off Cornbread Muffins from BabyCakes

IMG_7172.jpg

…then swung by the Larchmont Farmer’s Market – Abe was inspired by a recipe I posted on T.A.D.’s Facebook page and requested cauliflower

IMG_7181

(Noshed on a whole bunch of fruit samples too)

Picnik collage.jpg

Back home, I decided to clear some room for our fresh, new produce – too many of these guys sitting on the counter…

IMG_7182

…I never have the patience to make Caramelized Onions, but my crockpot does!

There are lots of recipes on how to do this online – most of them require anywhere from 8-12 hours on low; I am living dangerously and setting mine on high, because I can’t wait til 11pm for dinner!

IMG_7184

Also veganizing my version with coconut oil – will post the recipe later if the experiment goes well!!!

IMG_7188

It’s only been a few hours, but the house already reeks of onion – sorry, flowers!

IMG_7211

IMG_7206

I escaped the stink by reading on the porch. Look what’s in the latest issue of KoreAm – an entire article on Asian Fit Glasses, which I never even heard of last week:

IMG_7214

(Check out who’s on page 48 too!)

IMG_7216

What does your place usually smell like? I remember growing up how remarkably pungent other people’s houses were to me – my piano teacher’s was like Murphy’s Soap, my babysitter’s was like melted American Cheese…it seems like most homes I visit now don’t have any fragrance – did my sense of smell die or did people stop cleaning/cooking?!?

1 Cindy January 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Right now my house smells like wet oil paint, which always makes me happy. In another hour or so, it will smell like garlic and ginger, which will also make me happy.

2 Andrea@WellnessNotes January 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I love “slightly” scented candles, and it usually smells like whatever candle I have around at the time. Well, unless we are having kimchi, which is quite often… ;)

3 topangagurl January 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for the lovely FM pics! you know how I love them so…
Ok – growing up in Toronto, I had such a melting pot of friends – some houses smelt like curry (mine on occassion as my Mum is Indian and Scottish)…some like flowers, some like bread (my Italian friends)…and some like an Eastern Block house…I had many friends from Russia, and the Slov’s…our house today smells like essential oil cleaner, sweet potato fries (made them for Rob’s dinner before Hockey) and wine :)….earlier it smelt like vinegar as we were removing some wall paper that his ex-wife decided she would freakin’ superglue to the walls in the guest bathroom!

4 Erin | The Other Side of the Road January 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Leeks and butter and em, sometimes dirty diapers!

5 Chetney January 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm

My house probably smells like cedar from my rabbits cage, and sandalwood from my perfume. I love those smells :)

6 glidingcalm January 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm

haha I always laugh to myself when I walk into my parents’ house and know that someone has cooked salmon the night before… or just eaten something like natto. Hilarious.

love me some cooked onions! I had some tonight that I cooked in buttah leftover from a sauteed organic chicken breast!

7 squigglefloey January 30, 2012 at 5:03 am

Haha I just had a friend tell me how much natto makes you smell when you eat it! I’ve never tried it before…is it really that pungent?

8 glidingcalm January 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm

know** from the smell

9 Michelle January 30, 2012 at 6:34 am

I vividly remember the smells of other people’s houses and school from when I was a kid. I don’t notice the smells of these places now though. Unless someone is cooking or has a candle burning while I’m in their house, I don’t really notice the smell. I thought I was alone in this.

10 Jaime Sutton Schaden January 30, 2012 at 8:41 am

I think now people strive to have odorless homes. I prefer mine to smell like “fresh linen” but usually it smells like whatever i’m cooking – last night it was an orange/lemon/rosemary chicken.

11 alicia January 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love a clean smelling house for sure. Whenever I cook something smelly, I always open the windows and plug in a scented Frebreeze air freshner to get rid of the cooking smell. But the same does not hold true for baking…..love the smell of all baked goods. They make the house smell soooo good too.

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm

yeah i love anything baking…even the savory stuff (like pizza)