Use Your Noodle

January 20, 2012

in dessert, dinner, restaurant, salads, vegetarian

Remember the Onigiri Contest? Last night I was thanked for my judging services with an amazing meal at Breadbar!

IMG_5923

Artisan soba maker Sonoko Sakai invited us in for some stone milled, organically grown, hand cut buckwheat noodles

IMG_5926

Ordered mine with Hot Mushroom Seiro – Tokyo Negi (onions), and Yuzu

IMG_5927

Unlike the ramen I ate at Breadbar’s last pop-up noodle series, these get dunked in a separate seasoning, rather than arriving in a large bowl of soup.

IMG_5932

Abe asked for a Walnut Dipping Sauce – we traded bites. Both were uniquely delicious!

IMG_5934

(I left half of the soup – it got cold pretty fast.)

IMG_5939

Small samples of Kabocha were passed around (and I was reminded why I need to roast another pumpkin STAT!)

IMG_5942

Shared the Shira-ae Salad

IMG_5937

Green Beans, Golden Beets, Fuji Apple, Tofu, Sesame, and Cashew Nuts. We decided to leave off the cream….

IMG_5935

…in fact, most of the items could be vegan-ized!

You only have until January 22nd to experience the special Soba…FYI they are taking tonight (Friday) off, but Breadbar’s regular menu is available (as it is during the pop-up)

IMG_5913

On the way back to our cars, I wanted Pinkberry. Like REALLY wanted it, despite the cold weather (and their recent controversy)…

IMG_5943

…ever since I found out that their amazing Peanut Butter flavor is being discontinued, I’ve been craving it!!!

Sometimes I can’t think with my head when it comes to forbidden fruit….

IMG_5949

…or maybe there’s really no such thing as bad publicity?

1 hippierunner January 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

I read that article in the LA Times and it made me glad I’ve always avoided pinkberry. That man sounds like a monster! I will stick to making frozen banana-peanut butter concoctions at home. :)

2 Teresapalooza!! January 20, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yipes, I had no idea about the controversy! Sounds like he’s not right in a head – an explicit tattoo made him chase a man down and beat him up? Yuck – why can’t he be shiny and happy like his yogurt?

3 Caitlin C. January 20, 2012 at 11:11 am

That Pinkberry just ignited a froyo craving in me! I will have to read that article, haven’t seen it yet. Opened it in the next tab!

4 Brigid January 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

Those noodles look and sound incredible! The pop-up is in Century City? We may have to go over there this weekend. I haven’t felt like Asian noodles in a long time, but your pics totally incited a craving.

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

You should go! Perfect to celebrate the lunar new year too!

Sent from my iPhone Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

6 Alice January 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

ooo i missed the ramen popup! must check out this soba one :) I usually prefer my zarusoba with cold dipping sauces or tsuyu, but warm soup sounds delicious!

7 Nicole January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I hadn’t heard that about Pinkberry, but that’s not surprising considering the closest one to me is eight hours away. When I visited LA a few years ago I had Pinkberry every day I was there, no froyo in the midwest compares.

8 Natasha January 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Of all your food posts – this one appealed to me the most Lynn…I adore soup and noodles…AND loved the dessert selection…le sigh….

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

they really were divine! if you ever get the chance to have homemade soba, grab it!

10 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I love pink berry! i wish there was one closer to my house. I never have it, but when I see one, I always stop!

11 Lauren January 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Pinkberry has Peanut Butter? Oh my that sounds incredible!!

12 SkinnyRunner January 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

ive never had pinkberry, i always choose yogurtland because i like the self serve idea. i gotta go read up on the controversy now since i dont know about it.

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 21, 2012 at 9:04 am

i prefer the self-serve at yogurtland too but man oh man Pinkberry’s flavors TASTE so much better (and I prefer their toppings too)