Spit it Out

January 7, 2012

in restaurant, salads

Umami Burger! It’s been too long!

IMG_4731

I’m well-aware that my beloved burger chain is expanding nationally (with 25 new locations by 2013) but I had no idea that there was one in Santa Monica til we were making plans for the brunch on the Westside.

IMG_4737

Very different-looking from the one in Hollywood that we frequent

IMG_4732

IMG_4734

Started off with some appetizers for four -

IMG_4739

Pickled veggies – beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and okra

IMG_4741

(I tried a bite of the Jalapeño and spit it out)

IMG_4746

Tempura Onion Rings

IMG_4742

Sweet Potato Fries

IMG_4743

Dipped in a lot of Umami Ketchup

IMG_4744

Since this one is in shopping mecca Fred Segal, there are salads on the menu I’ve never seen elsewhere!

IMG_4735

I got curious and ordered the North African Chicken

IMG_4751

IMG_4757

Came with some fried eggplant too, which Abe ate on its own and spit out…

IMG_4755

…I guess I didn’t mind when it was buried with all the other flavors…

IMG_4759

…but still, I wish I had gotten a burger. The veggies were fine, but nothing special.

IMG_4748

A bite of the Earth burger – a mushroom/edamame patty with white soy aioli, truffle ricotta, cipollini onions, lettuce, and slow-roasted tomato

IMG_4750

For dessert I sampled a piece of the Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Cakewich

IMG_4760

IMG_4762

Stick to that, the burgers and the fried stuff. Just like McDonald’s, you don’t come here for the veggies!

I wonder what the Studio City and Los Feliz locations are like?

Umami Burger on Urbanspoon

1 Joyo January 7, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Oh, I love Umami! The Los Feliz spot is great–it was there I first had their cheesy tater tots…heaven. Then one time at the H’wood location I didn’t see them on the menu…but they had ‘em!! Sneaky, sneaky….I’ll go to great lengths for a tater tot.

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Yes – they said the tater tots were on the menu in SM too, but were a secret. Abe asked for pickles instead. MISTAKE.

3 topangagurl January 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

The only good thing that ever came of FS for me was my old hairdresser – “Frank from Austrailia” – this man was freakin’ talented…he worked out of the SM location….I never ate there – but jezzus! the food looked like crap!
Anywho – thinking we should have pot stickers for dinner or ??? What say you?
- Natasha

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

yes, potstickers sound good!

5 allie@sweetpotatobites January 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I had no idea there was an Umami in Santa Monica @ Fred Segal! I’ve only been to the La Brea and Hollywood locations (both equally delicious). Will have to check out this location when I’m in the area next.

6 Emily January 7, 2012 at 7:44 pm

The Studio City location is pretty nice! Unfortunately it’s pretty small so it gets crowded reallllly quickly (there’s usually a line outside) but I still enjoy it. I love their Earth Burger and the sweet potato fries are addictive. (:

7 Anna Freedman January 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Ooh, the fried eggplant medallions were yucky?? So sad! I’d think they’d be delicious. :( Esp for the price of a place like that!!

8 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

yes, it was surprising. how do you mess up fried eggplant?!?

9 leily January 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

you should try the truffle fries…those are really good too and i think off the menu

10 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

oooh i love secrets! thanks!