I C U

January 3, 2012

in vegan

Did you know I wear glasses? Well, actually, I (mostly) wear contacts. I’ve had horrible eyesight since elementary school.

12 years ago, I had a corneal ulcer from sleeping with my lenses in overnight, and since that very painful (and scary) experience I NEVER skimp on my ocular health, even when I’m struggling financially without insurance.

I’ve always liked the optometrist. Vision and hearing tests were always kinda fun for me as a kid (probably because I got to skip Phys Ed to take them).

My appointment was at 11, so I waited til afterwards for brunch.

Paleta meal bits – these Wild Mushroom and Black Bean Cakes were fabulous!

Leftover salad from last night’s impromptu dinner too

Just took Julius for a quick walk…

…going out of my way to run errands in a different part of town; see if I can make an Artist’s Date out of this gorgeous day!!!

Do you wear glasses/contacts?

1 kristel January 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I started wearing glasses during my freshman year of college. Could never wear contacts because the idea of touching my eyeballs makes me feel oogy. In fact, just thinking about it just now made me feel oogy.

Glasses can be so expensive, but I noticed there are a lot of sites popping up now that offer “cool” prescription glasses for under $100. Have you tried Bonlook.com? They have some cute frames :)

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

thanks for the link! i have them bookmarked now.

3 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I wear glasses and am in need of a new pair along with an exam. Eyes are no joke here either since Tony is an artist and his lively hood relies on him seeing well. Lunch looks delicious and Julius is too cute as always!

4 she January 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I sure do and need new frames terribly. Do you like Larchmont Optometrics?

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

they were good!

6 Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I have glasses, but I never wear them, and I NEED to. I have perfect vision in my right eye, but my left eye is awful, so I think I basically ONLY use my right eye and somehow get away with it.

7 Cindy January 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Glasses…you know that. Blind enough to have Thelma moments if I ever leave my glasses in some random spot. Have to laugh at how ridiculous I feel crawling all over the living room floor with my face inches from every surface. ’cause it’s funny.
Haven’t been able to wear contacts since 10th grade. Miss them.

8 actorsdiet January 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

LASIK?!?

9 Cindy January 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I keep asking, but am told I’m not a good candidate and would not be happy with the outcome. :(

10 Lauren January 3, 2012 at 5:57 pm

LOVE that pic of Julius!

11 Megan January 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Those mushroom and bean cakes look amazing!

I wear contacts. I didn’t get them for the longest time because I am not big on putting things in my eyes. Now, it is no problem, but I am considering lasik so I don’t have to deal with them all the time.

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

i wanna do lasik too! i always say if i get a movie where i have to spend a lot of time in the water (or a sauna/steam room) i’ll get it done…i’m kinda scared though!

13 aspiringeverything January 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’ve worn glasses since grade school. Or I’ve had glasses since grade school. I started wearing them in high school. I’ve wanted to switch to contacts for a while but I’m nervous about it. If I do switch, now I know not to get ones that can stay in overnight.

14 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

don’t be nervous – it’s easy! just FYI – the ones i had 10 years ago you weren’t supposed to wear overnight. i think they have those now, but i wouldn’t get them!

15 pure2rawtwins January 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I have really bad sight, started in college and seems to get worse. I have not been to an eye doctor in 3 years, and I really did to go because contacts are outdated. It is hard without insurance, so I thank you for the reminder!!

16 Kamaile January 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

The food looks really fresh. I love having artists dates…reminds me i need to start doing morning pages again. Julius looks so smart like my Scully (schnauzer). I scringed reading about you eye! I slept in my contacts once and I couldnt remove it, but I did. I’ve had LASIK since 1998 & I love it. I wish they had all the cool hipster glasses back when I wore glasses. Nope all mine were brown & fug!!

17 Stephanie C January 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I can’t do contacts. Aside from the weirdness of touching my eye, I’m afraid I’ll forget about them and sleep in them, also a friend just told me her contact MIGRATED to the back of her eye and she couldn’t get it out. It’s eye glasses or lasik for me!

18 actorsdiet January 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

Eeeeek

19 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I love that photo of Julius, it’s so pretty!

20 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 3, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Nope, neither the hubby nor I wear contacts or glasses.

21 actorsdiet January 4, 2012 at 8:12 am

Lucky family!!!

22 Zee January 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I too some time sleep with my contacts on and I am mostly wearing them throughout the day but you said you got corneal ulcer??? I am scared now!
I have been using lenses since 8 years now and glasses since I was in school and I am just 24!

23 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 4, 2012 at 12:11 am

Stop sleeping w them in!!! I too was guilty of doing it for years but that one episode was so scary and intense I would never do it again!!!

Sent from my iPhone Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

24 Julian January 4, 2012 at 1:22 am

I started wearing contacts my junior year in college. I too was scared to have something in my eyes but after a while I got used to it.

Quick question: Is the comfort level the same for you when you are staring at a computer while wearing contacts? I find the screen a bit intensified and uncomfortable with my contacts on vs. when I wear my glasses, which feel natural and comfy for me.

Also, when you’re doing a film on set, do your contacts ever bother you? I sometimes find it hard to focus because my eyes get tired from wearing contacts for more than a few hours. I wonder if there are any solutions for that.

Thanks Lynn!

-Julian

25 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

if it’s been a really long day my contacts can sometimes get dry. but it’s not too much of a problem. i’d check with your eye doctor!

26 glidingcalm January 4, 2012 at 5:59 am

I love that picture of Julius!! it is so artistic!!!

the food looks delicious too! bean cakes sound fab.

happy Wednesday, Lynn!

27 Pam January 4, 2012 at 6:41 am

I had contacts, then got lasik done…BEST thing I ever did..I was scary on the first eye, then after that it was no big deal, as I knew what was gonna happen…I was in and out within 30 minutes. Driving the next day..You should have it done…fantastic move on my part..now I don’t have to worry about glasses, taking my contacts out when I sleep…can’t seeing the clock when you look at it in the morning.
Pam

28 Darcee January 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’ve worn glasses since the 6th grade. When I was in High School, I switched to contacts, but ended up having an awful reaction to them. Ditched them for glasses again, through most of my 20′s. When I got good vision insurance, and could afford both, I opted for contacts again.

Now, I wear glasses at home and on work days (12 hour shifts as a nurse in a hospital=dry air and irritated eyes with contacts). I love my funky chunky black glasses:) If I’m out and about on a day off, I wear my contacts though. The sun in California is bright, and my eyes are sensitive to it, so I wear my contacts so I can wear my sunglasses.

29 Brigid January 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I much prefer wearing my contacts, but they get so dry out here in LA that I’ve been getting more migraines, so I’m back on my glasses (with the ancient prescription) until I can get to an eye doc. The best part is that X stepped on them twice recently, so they are all jank.

30 alex January 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

I learned the exact same lesson in college! struggled with corneal ulcers and have been so much better ever since. what a tough way to learn a lesson though!

31 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

ouch. did you have to wear an eye patch too?

32 alex January 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm

no! but that might have been cool? :)

33 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Looked a lot cooler than it felt!!!

{ 3 trackbacks }