Best of 2011

January 1, 2012

in compilation

What a year! Everything from shooting a few movies….

…interviewing childhood icons

…and traveling!!! For film festivals, from Austin

…to NYC

There was some celebrating

…some mourning

…and some truly sucky moments (remember when my car got stolen?) but all in all 2011 was very fun, blessed, and through all of it – DELICIOUS. As I wrote my New Orleans eating guide for Privy Magazine, I realized many of the best bites occurred during the end of the year, in The Big Easy. But between all the local Food Events, and blogger meetups, I know I ate very well in 2011. So I started thinking back…

Some of them I made myself, like the Figgy Pudding Cookie

Vegan African Stew

…and Pear Yogurt Bread

But most of them were done by professionals. I think I learned this year that I vastly prefer eating to creating.

Here are the foods that made me sit up, dance, slap the table, hug the chef, etc….

Sweet Lady Jane’s cherry pie

Blackberry Ginger Sorbet on Maple Waffle and Vegan Ginger Cookie via Cool Haus

All the dishes from Stella Rossa

Vancouver’s Flying Pig French Toast

Le Castagne’s Chestnut Mashed Potatoes (Philadelphia)

Bread pudding muffin at Larchmont Bungalow

Short Rib Burrito from the Kogi Taco Truck

Locanda Verde’s Lemon Ricotta Pancakes (NYC)

Fresh Strawberry and Peach Donuts from The Donut Man

Veggie Schnitzel Sandwich at Bru Haus

The Vol. 94 Chef’s Risotto

And the surprise dish of the year – Confit Tongue from The Gorbal’s. I still can’t believe how much I like tongue.

(That’s what she said.)

Now…

What will YOU say? What are the best moments and bites you’ve had all year?

1 Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm

What a great (and delicious) year for you :-) Happy 2012, Lynn!!

2 Chelsea January 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love tongue! :) it helps that I’ve been eating it since I was a wee one. Pickled tongue is my favorite food-a Bakersfield Basque tradition. It’s delicious in Mexican food too!

3 vanillasugarblog January 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm

short rib burrito
:::sigh:::

4 Gail January 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I love tongue, either pickled or roasted. Happy you joined this unusual culinary club. Great photos of great moments for you

5 pure2rawtwins January 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Happy New Year Lynn!! Your pear yogurt bread is on my list to make, looks so good.

6 Cindy January 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Despite 2011 being the most financially challenging of my adult life, it was pretty good artistically. “Requiem” is probably my best work to date. Didn’t eat out much, but an impromptu Octopus salad I whipped up turned out to be pretty damn good. I’m hoping I can duplicate it! I made my German Chocolate cake for the first time in a very long time…and it is still the most decadent cake I’ve ever eaten. Getting to share brunch and convo with you was a definite highlight for 2011. Keep being awesome! Big wishes for a great 2012 to you and yours.

7 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Best moments took place in NY in the spring. Best bites were there as well as camping in the summer.

8 Emily January 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Happy New Year, Lynn! I hope 2012 brings just as many exciting opportunities as 2011 did for you. Congratulations on all of the amazing this you accomplished this year!

9 maris callahan January 2, 2012 at 7:00 am

Gorgeous pictorial recap!

10 healthy ashley January 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

I am drooling.

11 Caitlin C. January 3, 2012 at 8:35 am

I remember how jealous I was of all your Stella Rosa pizzas! I need to make that pear yogurt bread asap. And eat those chestnut mashed taters, holy moly.