Irony

November 15, 2011

in music, sandwich

Growing up, I was responsible for a whole bunch of household chores – the only one that I didn’t mind was ironing. I could spend hours spraying starch on my dad’s shirts, pressing cloth napkins and tablecloths…as an adult, I hated doing it. I blame it all on this guy:

IMG_8132

When we lived in Astoria, there was only room for a tabletop board. And once we moved to Los Angeles, I never bought one to replace it. So Abe and I walk around all wrinkly.

IMG_8130

I finally bit the bullet and invested $20 in a standup version from Target. It ain’t fancy, but it’s so much better than kneeling on the floor!

I spent over an hour going through our wardrobes, while clearing out the DVR. Bliss.

IMG_8172

So cool to see my friend Sascha’s brother on Jimmy Fallon

IMG_8174

Well, he’s more famous for being “Bela Fleck” than “Sascha’s brother.”

IMG_8177

He’s just about the most amazing banjo player ever, and has a new album out – if you like his stuff, you should check out Sascha’s amazing music documentary as well.

IMG_8170

While the iron was out, I started thinking about how people make grilled cheese sandwiches with them. I’d always been curious about this process, but feared it’d get too messy. Since I was going to get rid of the old board anyway, I thought, “Hey – let’s give it a shot!”

Don’t do this at home, kids.

IMG_8159

At least, not with these ingredients – I used Manna Rye Sourdough Bread, Laughing Cow Sundried Tomato Mozzarella, and dried fig compote

IMG_8163

Assembled…

IMG_8165

…wrapped in foil

IMG_8182

Iron on the highest setting, no steam.

IMG_8185

Pressed for 2.5 minutes on each side, flipping every 30 seconds

IMG_8190

Oops. Should’ve used butter.

IMG_8193

The stuck-on parts were pretty tasty, actually. Reminded me of Injera!

IMG_8196

Despite being hideous and mushy…

IMG_8195

…I kinda dug this.

IMG_8204

Ironic?!?

1 Ellen November 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Sometimes hideous food is the best tasting! I totally want to try this now.
And I saw Bela Fleck perform live once, he and the rest of his musicians are absolutely brilliant!

2 Natalie November 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hahah I love this post – very resourceful. I should try that actually – would come in handy in a college dorm room (where I have a mini iron, but no toaster/panini press) so thanks for the idea!! And actually that sandwich looks pretty delicious to me too!

3 Lauren November 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Ah, I HATE ironing. The one chore I loathe more than anything. Good thing I have a willing hubby to do this.

4 topangagurl November 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm

You Ka-ra-seee gurl! I love ironing…hate folding and putting away…LOL – that was an amazing. I hope to meet you one day…I love your brain.

5 topangagurl November 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Oops – amazing entry – uh – too much vino!

6 Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Haha…Ryan wrote his dissertation on irony, and for the first year we were dating, my aunt thought he was writing a dissertation on “ironing.” Both topics are equally exciting, really :-)

I’d never think to iron a sandwich!!

7 Emily November 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Lol! Every since I watched the Top Chef episode where one of the contestants used an iron to make grilled-cheese, I’ve been wondering if it would work. How funny! At least it tasted yummy.
I actually enjoy ironing. It’s calming, in a weird way.

8 pure2rawtwins November 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

haha can you come iron for me?? hate doing that, and laundry

when i was younger, my sisters and i used to iron our hair (before flat irons came out) haha oh those were the days

9 earthygurl November 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

AAHHHH I’m cracking up while reading this! Food blogs are educational in so many ways.
Oh and I hate ironing as well, in fact, I’ve only ironed maybe 5 times in our entire marriage of almost six years!

10 Bella November 16, 2011 at 4:34 am

This is actually a good idea! I don’t have a toaster and I should try this!!!

11 Erin | The Other Side of the Road November 16, 2011 at 4:47 am

Aw! Thanks for Sascha’s shout-out. Wanted to tell you that my aunt used to iron her HAIR! Yep, in the 70s, she’d lay her long hair on the board and try to iron it straight.

12 Mai November 16, 2011 at 6:59 am

Hahaha. This is awesome.

13 Living, Learning, Eating November 16, 2011 at 8:32 am

I go through phases with ironing – sometimes there’s love, sometimes there’s not so much love. :P But I’ve never thought to iron-grill a sandwich! It looks like fun.

14 caloricandcrazy November 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I so want to try the ironing thing! And I absolutely love injera (ethiopian food in general) so I think I would love an ironed sandwich :)

15 glidingcalm November 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm

haha I forgot about that! (That people can make sandwiches with irons!) hilarious post.

16 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Ugh, I hate ironing. I am terrible at it. The hubby does all the ironing in our house :-)