Japadog

November 5, 2011

in film festivals, snacks

As predicted, we were up before the sun! Abe and I split two bars on the plane ride up

IMG_6953

VERY impressed with your airport, Vancouver…

IMG_6957

…and beautiful skyline as well!

This is actually our second trip to the city – we came to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary back in April 2008.

But that was before I started blogging, so this time I was very focused on finding authentically Vancouver-ish cuisine. One of my tweeps suggested Japadog, which originated here:

IMG_6965

They’ve got a few outdoor stands

IMG_6971

We went to the storefront on Robson

IMG_6964

It’s tiny, but at least you get to sit (and there’s a bathroom to wash your hands)

IMG_6972

The menu was overwhelming…

IMG_6966

…I just ordered what the sign on the counter told me to:

IMG_6967

Both Abe and I got our dogs “Terimayo” style – teriyaki sauce, seaweed, Japanese mayo, and fried onions

IMG_6977

Also a bag of Curry fries to share

IMG_6982

There’s all kinds of toppings you can add to your dog

IMG_6973

I chose cornichons, pickled veggies, and 3 different sauces – BBQ, sweet chili, and Honey Mustard

IMG_6983

Plus some heavenly wasabi mayo

IMG_6989

Yummers. SUPER yummers.

IMG_6986

The Kurobuta Pork had the PERFECT snap to it. Juicy, tender, and flavorful inside. (Abe loved his veggie version, but did not report a similar tasting experience.)

IMG_6988

So glad I got to try this place! I mentioned looking forward to eating here in this video during the Harold and Kumar 3 screening, and I’m pleased it didn’t disappoint -

Walked around to digest a bit

IMG_6990

IMG_6991

Here’s where Surrogate Valentine will be playing tomorrow night!

IMG_6993

So exhausted. Between being up since 6am, traveling, and that Japadog, I need a nap!!!

Japadog (Robson Store) on Urbanspoon

1 Ren Ren November 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Ooh! I love Japadog. I would visit Vancouver again just to eat another one. Are you going to try pouting too?

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet November 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm

do you mean poutine?!? yes i may – if i have time!

3 Ren Ren November 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Yes! Sorry for the typo. It’s hard commenting via iPhone.

4 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

The dogs sound amazing! We are ready to start taking the boys to new cities and have them experience these types of places. We want to go somewhere for Christmas this year.

5 glidingcalm November 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Japadog sounds incredible!! I would love to try that.
Sounds like a wonderful trip so far!

Congrats on the movie!
hugs,
gc

P.S. Check out my blog for a shout out ! :D

6 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Japadog sounds like my kind of place!! Yummmmmm!

7 Susan November 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Ahhh! I remember seeing this place on Eat St. on the Food Network. Such a cool idea!

8 Emily Dryden November 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm

What a fun little hot-dog place! Looks delicious.
Congratulations again on having Surrogate Valentine play there! Enjoy your trip. (:

9 Living, Learning, Eating November 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Wow, Vancouver airport is so pretty!

10 Anny Yu November 6, 2011 at 1:59 am

Welcome to Vancouver! You really know where to find good stuff! Japadog is one of my favorite in town, and there sure are a lot of good restaurants too! Enjoy you stay in this beautiful city! See you tomorrow at the movie! So excited!!!

11 Teresapalooza!! November 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Damn, I need to go to Vancouver and have a Japadog! The list of friends who have tried it grows longer, as does my jealousy. ;) They really should just open a location in LA – they would do crazy business!

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet November 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Agreed! I can’t believe there isn’t a knockoff already!

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

13 Dario November 12, 2011 at 1:26 am

There is a knockoff, but it’s a food truck — Dogzilla (http://dogzillahotdogs.com/). They started out a couple of years ago selling their hot dogs at a booth at various Little Tokyo events. Their truck is mostly in Orange County, but they are occasionally in L.A. The hot dogs are wonderful (though I haven’t tried Japadog yet).

14 suki November 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh whoa, I’ve only been to their cart! I didn’t realize there was actually one with tables. :)