The Apothecary

October 10, 2011

in books, dessert, party

The Apothecary” is a new Young Adult novel written by Maile Meloy that’s been getting rave reviews – Abe’s already read (and loved) it – think “Harry Potter” meets John le Carré

IMG_3852

We celebrated the book’s release yesterday – couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw who was there:

IMG_3807

Been wanting to try Cool Haus for years, but have never caught up with the truck. They gave me samples of every flavor!!!

IMG_3847

I shared a heavenly Potato Chip and Skor Bar cookie with 3 friends, before hitting the dinner buffet

IMG_3828

Heirloom LA did a tremendous job catering – every single bite was wonderful!!!

IMG_3812

Pizzas, grilled veggies, charcuterie…

IMG_3817

…delectable passed hors d’oeuvres

Recently Updated7

My favorite bite was the chicken n waffles with a blueberry/whipped cream topping. I ate seconds of those, along with another plate from the Crostini Station…

IMG_3820

…then hit the Taco Buffet

IMG_3836

Stuffed one tortilla with beef shortrib, salsa, and guac; on the side – halibut, chicken, and caponata

IMG_3840

Pretended to be a kid

IMG_3842

Ready to burst at this point, but there was one more thing on the menu…

IMG_3846

My Cool Haus creation – Blackberry Ginger Sorbet sandwiched between a Maple Waffle and Vegan Ginger Cookie

IMG_3851

Epic. Sooooo epic.

I dominated the entire dessert, but just a taste of the paper it came wrapped in.

IMG_3850

Yup, that’s right. Edible. Tasted like communion wafer.

IMG_3830

Hope the kiddies don’t try nibbling the pages out of this book – I want to read them!

IMG_3856

Coolhaus (food truck) on Urbanspoon

1 livinglearningeating October 10, 2011 at 8:28 am

Cool Haus looks amazing! But I don’t really get what it has to do with Germany/German stuff?

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm

they’re paying homage to rem koolhaas, the architect!

3 Caitlin C. October 10, 2011 at 8:35 am

Looks like foodie paradise! That potato chip cookie sounds awesome. You seem to have the same strategy as me at events with so many food options – little tastes of everything so you don’t miss out! I like it :D

4 Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

Potato chips in a cookie? That’s definitely appealing to the pregnant lady in me. :-)

5 Sara K October 10, 2011 at 9:16 am

I want to eat like you every day; seriously! The chicken n waffle hors d’oeuvre looks amazing

6 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 10, 2011 at 9:37 am

I am drooling over the thought of a potato chip cookie.

That book looks interesting – I am going to have to order it.

7 Cindy October 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Pretty sure I could be talked into most anything with that blackberry ginger sorbet sandwich. I luv you, but would have wrestled you to the ground to swipe it from your little fingers. :o

8 vanillasugarblogv October 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Cool Haus ROCKS!
Saw them on the cooking channel and just nodded my head ‘yes yes yes, what a clever, genius creation’

9 pure2rawtwins October 11, 2011 at 5:41 am

ok seriously so jealous of the amazing food you have around you…everything looks great! that cookie sandwich, yum!!

10 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Cool – I hadn’t heard of that book until now! Thanks for sharing.

11 Lindsay October 12, 2011 at 6:03 am

I have to stop reading your blog before bedtime, it makes me so HUNGRY, lol! And thank you for sharing about the book, I’ve been looking for a Harry Potter-esque fantasy to get me away!

12 Sandi October 15, 2011 at 6:12 am

What wonderful food, & to catch the Cool Haus truck too!