Fluff Ice

October 7, 2011

in dessert

I’m a relative newbie to the shaved ice game.

IMG_3639

In the last two months, I’ve tried the Korean, Taiwanese, Hawaiian, and Filipino versions. Even though summer’s over, the weather is still warm enough for me to justify ice for lunch.

IMG_3626

Fluff Ice invited me to check out their store, in a fancy outdoor Monterey Park mini-mall (think The Grove). Yes, I drove half an hour in traffic for free frozen dessert.

But also to see my buddy Koji :)

IMG_3637

Started by local residents (just out of college!!!) they’re trying to bring shaved ice to the masses. Only, it’s NOT shaved ice. It’s FLUFF ice.

Huh?

They get asked that a lot, apparently:

IMG_3615

You can either order from their ready-made menu…

IMG_3610

…or customize your own:

IMG_3612

Choose a size (I went with Medium)

IMG_3622

Then a flavor:

flavros

I sampled four, including the Honeydew, which was really unique. I didn’t order it though, because I had already eaten 1/2 a melon for breakfast. (But if you stop in, you should ask for it specifically, since it’s not on the menu!)

Toppings are much more unique than Pinkberry or Yogurtland. Yes, they still have the usual chocolate chips and such…

IMG_3627

…I went for the egg pudding, taro pudding, strawberries…

IMG_3644

…drizzled with chocolate syrup and sweetened condensed milk

IMG_3641

Also tasted a few boba – including some cool “popping” ones!

IMG_3645

My Fluff Ice flavor was the Original – not too sweet and I wound up getting extra condensed milk added

IMG_3651

Was surprised how well it holds its consistency! Not super-melty at all.

IMG_3652

There are similar “shaved snow” places I want to try (Class 302 has been on my list for a while) but they’re a bit further out. Fluff Ice is just close enough to make a weekday trek worth it; plus they have plans to go mobile soon with a food truck (followed by world domination). Check them out on Facebook or Twitter to see when they’re coming near you!

Fluff Ice on Urbanspoon

1 Cindy October 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I wonder…can you live on shaved ice? It would be worth a try.

My hotel has a jar of hard candies in my room. Immediately thought of you when I saw it. :)

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm

i love that when people see hard candies now they think of me, or their grandpa.

3 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds October 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh my gosh! This looks divine! I want some :) I imagine the Fluff Ice is a lot like Hawaiian shaved ice {the ice shavings are extremely fine & non-chunky}… although I’ve also tried Taiwanese shaved ice which was also really good.

4 Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I had something similar up in Fremont and can’t find it anywhere since! Well, I actually haven’t looked anywhere since, but I’m going to start now that you reminded me! I LOVE those popping mango boba!

5 balancedbridge October 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Yum I need to try this! is it more icier or what kind of consistency is it?

6 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm

it’s hard to describe – creamier than ice – like milk-y snow!!!

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm

This sounds and looks so good. I wonder if there are places like that here? I need to find out!

8 Lauren October 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

This is so interesting! It reminds me a “creme” ice that we have here. Like Italian Ice only creamier and more indulgent.

9 Annie G. October 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

My friends and I were so excited about fluff ice last spring!!! It looks amazing; I haven’t had the popping boba outside of China! I’ve made the trip from downtown to Class 302…It was delicious and unlike anything I’d tried! :) :) Hope you’ll be as excited as I was when you finally go!

10 Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) October 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

fluff ice looks surprisingly good, i was a little sceptical when I saw the name but looks good! and w/ boba yes please :)

11 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love the idea of not only fun dessert but fun topping. Shaved ice sounds like something I might be able to eat :-)

12 squigglefloey October 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Oh my gosh, Lynn, my friend from HS (Matt) is the owner! haha.

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

small world!!!

14 Chef_Jay October 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Glad you got to try it…
Back from Hawaii today, we still on for lunch?

15 livinglearningeating October 8, 2011 at 12:28 am

Fluff Ice looks amazing – I hope they get a food truck and drive it on over to Boston! :P

16 Cinderella11pm October 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I’d like to try some of that melon fluff ice – looks yummy!

17 caloricandcrazy October 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Wow! I have to try this next time I’m in So Cal…or hopefully they’ll open up some new locations in Nor Cal!

18 Hannah (BitterSweet) October 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’ve never heard of this before, but that texture looks incredible! Oh man, I wish there was a vegan version of this, or a way to make it at home…

19 joan October 11, 2011 at 9:09 am

it looks like snowflake ice or “shue hua bing”, which is another version of shaved ice in taiwan.. they usually use milk or flavors into the ice before they shave it. my favorite is the almond milk snowflake ice. it’s so good!

20 kimmie October 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

MMMM that looks SO GOOD. Can you tell them that they need to open up a shop up in Seattle? :)

21 Alice October 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Fluff ice sounds awesome! And OMG popping boba. I first saw those at Yogurtland in Waikiki. So interesting, right? Thanks for the honeydew tip :)