Chocolate. Beer. Bread.

October 4, 2011

in dessert, recipe

Last night I met a food blogger who cooks with alcohol, this morning I heard a podcast about using stout in recipes

IMG_3187

…it was a sign!

IMG_3192

(Yes, I know it looks like balsamic vinegar. It’s not, people. It’s stout.)

This was previously thawed, leftover Murphy’s that I stored in an old salad dressing bottle after making chili a few weeks ago. Did a little research online, and apparently freezing beer won’t affect the recipe.

I already made beer bread, this time I tried a sweet version!

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, vanilla, chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Mega Chunks which are dairy/soy/nut-free)

IMG_3200

The star ingredient:

beer

No foaminess left. Sad.

IMG_3209

Harder to come together too – had to get down and dirty with my hands this time

IMG_3220

Pressed into a loaf pan. Said a prayer.

IMG_3224

While that baked, I enjoyed breakfast and the latest NY Times Magazine

IMG_3238

[ It's the "Food and Drink" issue - tons of great articles in there! ]

Back to baking – brushed the bread with coconut spread during the last 10 minutes

IMG_3228

It came out looking (and smelling) spectacular!

IMG_3241

IMG_3242

Am particularly smitten with its chocolate-y heel…

IMG_3268

…and this crater on the side:

IMG_3266

Chocolate Beer Bread (adapted from Taylor Takes a Taste)

• 3 cups all purpose, unbleached flour
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 4.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 12 ounces stout (Frozen/thawed and flat. Or not.)
  • 1 TB Coconut Spread

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, then add the vanilla and stout. Use your hands to mix into a dough, then press into a parchment-lined loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes, then brush with melted Coconut Spread and return to oven for another 10 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

IMG_3272

Unfortunately, we all have to wait to find out how it tastes – I’m bringing the bread to a friend’s house tomorrow. (D’oh!)

P.S. – If you missed the post, I’m hosting a giveaway through Thursday for a Shabby Apple skirt

1 Nikki October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wait…you can FREEZE BEER? My life = changed.
This looks sooooo delicious. I can’t wait to hear how it tastes!

2 Caitlin C. October 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That bread looks awesome, I love the chunky chocolate pieces. Thanks for the rec on the NY Times Magazine! I want a print version, I have issues with reading articles on screens, but at least it’s free online!

3 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This is BRILLIANT! How have I never thought to add chocolate to beer bread? YUM!

4 Erin | The Other Side of the Road October 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

This is so exciting because just Saturday we visited the Guinness Factory, and ate at one of the restaurants, Gilroy’s, where they featuredGuiness-marinated burgers and Vanilla-Guinness ice cream. (We also brought home Guinness Dark Chocolate.) I want to try your beer bread recipe–looks divine–thank goodness it doesn’t require a mixer because I blew ours somehow. Don’t know if the adapter was on converter when it should have been vice-versa.

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm

i want to visit the guinness factory!!! and you guys too, of course :)

6 jenn (way of the wong) October 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm

ooooooh that looks delish!

7 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hooray for more beer baking!! That looks awesome.

8 Anna October 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

That looks seriously awesome. I love how much texture the top has!

9 Ellen Clifford October 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oh wow-I hate beer but I love beer bread, and chocolate makes my world go round. I think I need to try this one!

10 vanillasugarblog October 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

love the splendid table. i try to listen to her every wknd.

11 Natasha October 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Wait!!!!!!!!!!! gimme some of that first!
Yum.

12 Erica October 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Wow! That looks amazing! Yum

13 Vegetarian in the City October 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm

omg i want that right now!! it looks incredible. great job :)

14 caloricandcrazy October 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm

oh my wow…..vegan chocolate beer bread? who woulda thought?? :P

15 she October 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Looks delicious!

16 Lauren October 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

This is genius. Chocolate, beer and bread…the perfect combination.

17 sophia October 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Nice!!! I’ve made Guinness cupcakes, but this bread looks more like what I’d love, because I love bready goods. How can you resist until tmorrow? I wouldn’t be able to!

18 zesty appetite October 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm

yummm those melty chips look sooooo delicious. I know you don’t drink, but there is this amazing beer called ‘Milk Stout’ by Left Hand Brewing Company….it is so good (and probably would rock this bread). It is so creamy that it reminds me of real guinness served in Ireland (which puts the kind in the states to shame)

19 elise October 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! bookmarked!!!

ps got your email about the stevia. responding in 5

20 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm

FYI I just found out murphy’s stout isn’t vegan! Sure you could use another type of beer though.

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

21 marcuschung October 5, 2011 at 5:41 am

That’s a really pretty honeydew! Oh, and the bread looks okay, too.

22 livinglearningeating October 5, 2011 at 7:38 am

That looks so tasty – I want a non-beer version!

23 Miriam October 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’ve been obsessed with beer bread lately. The NY Times recipe called for a Stout and lots of sugar, but I adapted it for a salty version. I did learn – the hard way – that using a really hoppy, IPA-style beer makes the house reek and the bread taste like bad beer. Not fun, but an amusing learning experience!!

24 Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) October 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm

i”ve never baked with beer but this recipe looks really good and love the big chocolate chunks! i do however use tons of rum and bourbon when baking :)

25 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

That bread looks and sounds awesome!!! It is a combination of some of my very favourite things.

26 Jessica June 11, 2012 at 5:01 am

I am so thrilled to try this. I’m currently trying to develop several different beer bread recipes using local German Beers…. Will try this with one of the caramely dark beers you can get here. Yay! Thanks for sharing!

27 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 11, 2012 at 7:13 am

Enjoy! Lemme know how it turns out.