Borderline

September 26, 2011

in dinner, restaurant, vegetarian

Border Grill has been on my radar for a while – with celebrity chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger serving up critically acclaimed “modern Mexican cuisine” since the 80′s, I snatched up the Living Social deal the morning the email appeared

IMG_2330

There’s restaurants in Santa Monica, Vegas, and even a food truck – but we went to the downtown location for an early dinner

IMG_2331

Similar to Susan Feniger’s “Street” (where I’ve eaten a couple times) the decor is bright, funky, and fun

IMG_2348

IMG_2349

IMG_2352

IMG_2353

All I’d eaten all day was half a ‘loupe and some candy, so I was ready to grub! Inhaled the majority of these freshly fried tortilla chips

IMG_2355

3 kinds of salsa (my favorite was the smoky chipotle one)

IMG_2356

Abe and I ordered a few vegetarian dishes to share

IMG_2366

Quinoa Fritters, which won “Top Chef Masters” (here’s the recipe)

IMG_2368

Green Corn Tamales

IMG_2364

So incredible. Surprisingly sweet. I left off the sour cream side and stuck to the salsa fresca

IMG_2372

Also steered clear of the white stuff on the Market Vegetable Quesadilla, but used plenty of guacamole

IMG_2374

Stuffed with roasted poblano, shrooms, corn, chipotle and 3 cheeses (manchego, panela, and cojita)

IMG_2378

Really delicious, and the servers couldn’t have been sweeter! We were both full but “needed” to order more to fulfill the Living Social $40 tab, so we asked for a Banana Cream Pie to go.

IMG_2382

We’ll have to wait for another time to cross the border on that one, though. I’m still stuffed!

P.S. – Another great group coupon today for Jamba Juice froyo – unfortunately not for the one on Larchmont though :(

Border Grill on Urbanspoon

1 Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 26, 2011 at 7:38 am

I LOVE good tamales. This looks like a great meal!

2 Emma September 26, 2011 at 7:41 am

Those quinoa fritters and tamales look to die for! And the drawings on the wall crack me up–especially the nonchalant “Ole”

3 Caitlin September 26, 2011 at 7:46 am

WOW that restaurant looks awesome! Particularly the tamales and quesadilla. And those chips look perfect – man, good thing I only have an hour til my lunch break because you’ve got my appetite going haha

4 Amanda September 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

I love Border Grill. So delicious and fun. I bought the living social deal too but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. We’ll be there soon!

5 snacktress September 26, 2011 at 8:08 am

All that food looks DELICIOUS. The quesadilla sounds really tasty.

6 Andrea@WellnessNotes September 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

I want to go to Border Grill next time I’m in L.A.! I remember watching them in the 90s on Food Network, and I loved their show!

7 Julie (A Case of the Runs) September 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

I never thought the food there was so that fancy! I think there are too many places with similar names to that, which are not all that good. I can’t wait to try!

8 Vegetarian in the City September 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

this place looks so fun!! i wish they had a Border Grill in New York. mmmmm mexican food :)

9 Brigid September 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

We went to Border Grill a couple of weeks ago. The guacamole was insanely delicious, and I really liked the plantain empanadas. We went crazy for the salsas, too.

10 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 26, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Oh that looks fun! Glad you guys had a nice time and thanks for the Wordpress/iphone app info! :)

11 pure2rawtwins September 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm

the food looks wonderful!!! love the environment too of that place

12 Jersey Girl Cooks September 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm

The food looks delicious! Now I am craving Mexican.

13 livinglearningeating September 27, 2011 at 7:14 am

I always think tamales look so fun in their little corn wrappers :)