Wonkaville

September 4, 2011

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, store, travel

Could you guess where I am? A couple thought maybe Washington or Alaska.

IMG_0127

I’m actually in Oregon! This morning “the kids” (me, Abe, his sister Anna and her hubby Zack) took a little road trip back into civilization for some coffee in the adorable town of Bend

IMG_0275

Yelped around for the best coffee and found Thump

IMG_0230

IMG_0260

The little cafe has a lot of personality!

IMG_0234

IMG_0231

The rest of the kids enjoyed their caffeine; I sipped ginger tea

IMG_0245

IMG_0243

From the prepared food case, I ordered a Blackberry Spice Coffee Cake with brown sugar and hazelnut streusel

IMG_0241

Traded bites with Abe’s super cheesy veggie quiche…

IMG_0250

…and Anna + Zack’s Marionberry bar

IMG_0242

Even though it was delicious (and indeed spicy!) I wound up giving a hunk away to A + Z; the slice was huge and I was still kinda full from last night’s potluck

IMG_0255

Afterwards, we walked around the adorable town

IMG_0265

IMG_0268

IMG_0262

Unfortunately, since it was early (and Sunday) not much was open

IMG_0297

Such a shame, because all the stores looked SUPREMELY fabulous

IMG_0276

Finally, we found one to go in

IMG_0269

IMG_0272

A fine candy store, but a few blocks away we hit the motherlode:

IMG_0280

IMG_0282

IMG_0281

IMG_0283

I’ve been to MANY MANY MANY sweet stores (including Dylan’s) and Powell’s definitely takes the cake – er candy – in terms of selection, charm, and curation…

IMG_0291

…stuff I didn’t even know existed…

IMG_0288

…presented thematically….

IMG_0292

IMG_0287

IMG_0293

…they even have a WILLY WONKA SHRINE…

IMG_0285

…and a “Where Are They Now?” of the cast!!!

IMG_0290

[ A little trivia - I have the same agent as Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) himself! ]

IMG_0289

Around the Bend, and back again – we’ve got a lakeside wedding to attend in a few hours!

Thump Coffee on UrbanspoonPowell's Sweet Shoppe on Urbanspoon

1 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) September 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Looks like a cute little place! I love it! Have fun tonight.

2 chelsea September 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We have a Powell’s in BoBoi

3 actorsdiet September 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

ha ha – BoBoi Idaho – i wanna go!

4 chelsea September 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

This is why I never comment on my phone… we have one in Boise and I agree that Powell’s is pretty insane/awesome.

5 vanillasugarblog September 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

love little road trips to small towns.
did you buy the bacon soda?
i guess one could make an ice cream float with that, perhaps?

6 VeggieGirl September 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oooooh candy :D

Enjoy the wedding!

7 Tiffany September 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm

That first picture looks like a painting. I’ve only been to Oregon once but it was in the spring time and it rained the whole time. I definitely didn’t see anything like that!

I would destroy that candy shop.

8 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

How cool you have Gene Wilders agent. And those update photos are so cool. I love the where are they now shows.

9 Natasha September 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Holy CRAP! I want to go to that candy store…love the fact that your enjoying yourself! Enjoy the wedding and take a snap of what you and “the hand model” in your wedding garb.

Who knew there was such a thing as bacon beer?!~ :)
Natasha

10 Ameena September 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Maya loves Dylan’s so I think a trip to Oregon is in order if only to see a store that tops that!

11 Amy September 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Hey! You’re in my neck of the woods! I live a couple hours west of Bend – lovely town & Stumptown Coffee is the best…

12 Fredric Delmais (@FredricDelmais) September 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm

My guess of your location would have been Montana – The Last Great Place. Do you know what NJ & Oregon have in common? They are the only 2 states that don’t allow self-service gas stations. It’s the only state my wife would move to (she hates pumping gas). Is Powell’s Sweet Shoppe related to Powell’s Books in Portland? I’m curious when visiting places (esp. small towns in out of the way locations) what do people do there work wise?

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet September 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

i don’t believe they’re related – but i have been to both and they’re great!

14 skinnyrunner September 5, 2011 at 6:54 am

we have a powells near our house and its just like – super nostalgic and adorable.

15 Monet September 5, 2011 at 7:08 am

Adorable to say the least! I wish I was walking around here this morning :-) Thank you for sharing with me. I hope the beginning of your week is both peaceful and fun. I’m sipping on a cup of coffee and looking forward to a day of resting and baking. Perfection, in my books! I hope you are well, my friend!
PS. I’m sorry I didn’t get back to your comment! I’m doing well. We are taking it one day at a time and rejoicing in the small moments of beauty/life.

16 Ashley@bakerbynature September 5, 2011 at 7:55 am

I pretty much want to pack my bags and move there; that is the cutest little town i’ve seen in a long time, and stumptown coffee too?!

Kidding, of course… i love nyc… but boy do those small towns have their charms.

17 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 5, 2011 at 9:46 am

I hope the wedding was awesome!!!!!! That store looks so cool!

18 Ngoc September 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Peanut butter Whoppers! Amazing.

19 mandyunruh September 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I am obsessed with Bend, and mentioned it to husband today as we drove around Mar Vista looking at the sad, tiny houses that we still cannot afford to buy. I was like, “If we want pretty on our budget, we’d better move to Bend.” Sigh…why must our careers be in LA?

20 Lynn at The Actors Diet September 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

The houses there ARE super cute! If you ever need a realtor there my cousin Rachel is one!

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

21 idreamofgreenie September 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I have no shame in admitting that Willy Wonka (old not new) is my favorite movie of all time…man do I want to check this place out! Now that I conquered Washington this past weekend, Oregon is high on the list.

22 Rica M Yulo September 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for introducing the Whoppers Peanut Butter. It’s not available here in the Philippines but I asked a few friends in the US if they could ship some over. I think I could finish an entire box :) I’m a Reese’s addict!