That Ain’t Bull

August 18, 2011

in dessert, restaurant, vegetarian

My last trip to Breadbar was in Century City – this time I visited their location on Third Street, across from Cedars-Sinai

Cute n casual

Of course, there’s the bread!

But if you go Monday through Saturday night like I did, that’s not what you should order!

Through September 30th, Breadbar continues its “Popchef” Series with consulting Chef Noriyuki Sugie (Ironnori Concepts) and his ramen creations. The menu is beef-based – hence the name Ramen Bull – rather than using the traditional pork.

I was invited to bring a guest for a complimentary dinner. With me was Kat from Jade Candy, who is not only a jewelry expert, but a ramen one as well!

To start – Crunchy Noodles with salt and vinegar

More fried nibbles – Shishitou Peppers with kombu, soy sauce, and bonito flakes

I only had a couple of each appetizer – there was a lot more food coming!

Kat and I were EACH generously given full orders of both the Vegetarian (off the secret menu) and Ox Tail Ramen

I portioned myself a small bowl of the Veggie version, which had baby spinach and wood-ear mushrooms

Unfortunately for vegans, the noodles have egg in ‘em

But you Ovo-Lactos are in luck! That broth – WOW. Talk about flava! Rich, complex, and slightly spicy.

I took the leftovers home for Abe to sample…

…and polished off this entire bowl for myself

Umami Foam-covered Oxtail

Over Soft Boiled Marinated Egg

Though delicious, Kat and I both actually preferred the Vegetarian version! We were impressed that it was just as savory and complex as the beef, with the added bonus of veggies.

For dessert, we asked the waiter to surprise us.

Ta da! Flourless chocolate cake!

There’s no B.S. at Breadbar.

Breadbar on Urbanspoon

1 lowandbhold August 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

That all looks amazing!

2 marcuschung August 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

Love that you’re hanging out with my sister! How did I miss that you were modeling Jade Candy? The oxtail ramen looks incredible and now I’m totally craving some comfort noodles…

3 Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

Mmmm, love ramen! Do they make their noodles?

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

i believe they are homemade!

5 Foodie and the Beats August 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

All of that looks delicious! I’m so curious about the salt and vinegar crunchy noodles. Were they good? I’m a salt and vinegar fiend.

6 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm

i was a fan of the flavor, but not the texture. i like my crunchy snacks with more surface area!

7 livinglearningeating August 18, 2011 at 11:28 am

I’m an Ovo-Lacto! And flourless chocolate cake = yum. Especially with creamy ice cream and a few raspberries….

8 Lisa Perez August 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Wow, those pictures sure look tempting! The vegetarian ramen is enough to make me want to get started on my healthy lifestyle routine (by shunning red meat and eating more veggies!). Thanks for featuring vegetarian-friendly restaurants and cuisine. Kudos!

9 Krystina (Organically Me) August 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I saw Bread Bar on Keeping Up with the Kardashians and instantly thought of you! haha

10 Fat Fudge August 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That foam looked really unappetizing–like someone spat on your food.

11 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Ha! I never understood the appeal of foam either.

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

12 Pure2raw twins August 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

love the look and feel of that place, and that chocolate cake looks amazing! I have not had a flourless cake in years