But I’m Still, I’m Still an Animal

August 10, 2011

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, dessert, restaurant

Abe had a Dodger Dude Date last night so I made my own lady plans with Michelle and Andrea. Hmmm….where to go without my vegetarian husband?

There’s no sign on the door, but Animal has been very popular with the carnivores since they opened.

Despite it looking empty, there were no tables free – I had left a message on Monday for a reservation, but they never got it. Luckily, we arrived just as they opened, so there was seating left at the bar.

The menu is dizzying, filled with animal parts I’ve never heard of. Small plates, ranging from $10-$35.

We got a few dishes to share, starting with one of two vegetarian options – the shaved zucchini salad with pecorino, purslane, and sungold tomato

Smoked trout salad with corn vinaigrette, benton’s bacon, and crema

Hamachi tostada, herbs, fish sauce vinaigrette, and peanut

Michelle ordered the foie gras with biscuit and maple sausage gravy. I wasn’t too keen on eating goose liver, but I did try a bite. And then another one. (This actually wound up being my favorite dish.)

Finally, the barbeque pork belly sandwiches with slaw

Andrea doesn’t really eat pig, so Michelle and I each had our own slider. This is one the restaurant’s most popular dishes; a little too fatty and vinegar-y for me.

But all in all, the food was terrific! I definitely want to come back with other meat eaters and taste more.

We decided for a change of scenery after dinner.

Susina is a bakery/cafe that I’ve been to a couple times, but never blogged about.

Along with caramelized pear tea, I ordered a slice of the signature “Berry Blossom Cake” – described as “3 layers of Vanilla Sponge Cake brushed with orange liqueur, filled with white chocolate mousse, and fresh berries. Decorated with curmbled meringue and white chocolate shavings.”

But I tasted no orange liqueur, no meringue. Definitely no chocolate mousse. That was whipped topping on there. I think they gave me a regular shortcake instead?!?

Nonetheless, it was delicious – I attacked almost all of it. Cause I’m an animal.

Animal on UrbanspoonSusina Bakery on Urbanspoon

1 Sara K August 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

What beautifully prepared food! Animal looks like the kind of place you’d find up in Portland or here in Marin.

2 Cindy August 10, 2011 at 8:48 am

Drooling.

3 allie@sweetpotatobites August 10, 2011 at 9:37 am

love Susina! i used to live right around the corner from there and would go and get tea and pastries from there all the time. still need to try Animal as well.

4 Susan August 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

that’s my favorite cake from Susina!!!!

5 livinglearningeating August 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

Hmm…sometimes white chocolate doesn’t taste very chocolaty? The berries in there look tasty though :)

6 Amber's Notebook August 10, 2011 at 11:24 am

love the title ;) and yummy!!
Amber’s Notebook

7 twobooswhoeat August 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

Andy has really, really been wanting to try Animal. He would love the foie gras! (it creeps me out a bit.)

8 Michelle Krusiec (@michellekrusiec) August 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Lynn I had a tummy ache at the end of the night! Did you? Hard to tell what it was from since everything was so animal parts-ish. Maybe I’m becoming a wuss from all the organics I’ve been consuming.

9 Erin Torneo August 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I don’t know if I ever told you but Animal was my last meal (and what a meal it was!) before my water broke. Sascha and I ventured out (I must have known at some level, because I insisted on getting a pedicure before and I waddled in wearing the pedicure flip-flops) and snagged a seat at the bar. We ate like it was the last supper, and sitting at the bar was perfect because James the bartender gave us all his inside picks. The next morning, I woke up wondering if I should add incontinence to the many joys of pregnancy before figuring out my water broke and it was on…

10 anna August 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm

love the title, love miike snow. <3 Food looks incredible. I'm not really a big meat person myself, but it still looks good.

11 Fredric Delmais (@FredricDelmais) August 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

Surprised you ladies were eating foie gras (French for “fat liver”). Foie gras is made from the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened. It is a very controversial food. As you may know the “food police” has forced a law to be passed in CA that prohibits the production & sale of foie gras. The law will go into effect on July 1,2012. As usual your pictures look delish- next time in LA will have to try the restaurant (before July 1,2012).

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

Oh yes I’m very well aware of the controversies; I have very vocal animal activist friends.

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

13 elise August 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm

i think i read an article on the owner of this place. and i have to be honest, it made me pretty outraged and im not even a super activist vegan!