Central Perk

June 26, 2011

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, dessert, snacks, travel

After Breadfast yesterday we spent our last day in New York walking, walking, walking!

From TriBeCa….

…through Greenwich Village (and the building exterior from “Friends”)…

…all the way back to Chelsea…

…where I passed out from carb overload and sheer exhaustion.

photo

Recharged, we took one final stroll before the sun set.

No trip to NYC is complete without a visit to Central Park!

I love it here in the summer, when there are so many outdoor activities going on. We stumbled upon this group of people taking tango lessons:

Reminded me of a deleted dance scene out of my cousins’ movie “Little Manhattan,” which shot all over the Upper West Side and Central Park back in 2005 (and, crazily, has been trending on twitter since airing on The Disney Channel a few weeks ago!)

There was one final stop on my foodie checklist:

We hit the midtown Momofuku Milk Bar. (Remember when I won the cookie giveaway back in February?)

This time I came for one thing. Pie, please:

We also tried some soft serve samples – Cereal Milk and Blackberry-Kaffir Lime

DUDE. Cereal milk tastes exactly like – well, the milk leftover in your cereal bowl! Cornflakes, actually. It was weird and awesome at the same time.

We got our pies to go. They come packaged in these giant McDonalds-esque containers:

Also picked up one of their Bagel Bombs – this was the dill flavor

Stuffed with cucumber, cream cheese, and (of course) LOTS of dill

I had just a bit, with some Miso Soup (the same packets I’d been using while filming “Yes We’re Open“)

Actually ate the salty stuff AFTER dessert, but I wanted this post to end on a sweet note:

Abe ordered Candy Bar, and I have been dying to try their infamous Crack Pie for years, so we tried 1/3 of each other’s picks. Plus fresh berries:

The Candy Bar pie tastes like an upscale Reese’s PB Cup with lots of salt. The Crack Pie is very reminiscent of pecan pie (without the nuts). I believe that both have recipes you can find online – just google ‘em.

Bye bye, Big Manhattan!

Momofuku Milk Bar (Midtown) on Urbanspoon

1 brokencookiesdontcount June 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

Looks like you had a terrific time in NYC! Travel safe back to the West!

2 bakebooks June 26, 2011 at 7:27 am

Do you go to NY often? I would LOVE to go but would have no idea how to “navigate” it by myself.

3 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 26, 2011 at 7:42 am

i go back at least once a year – i lived there for 7 years and it is really easy to get around!

4 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 26, 2011 at 8:07 am

I am very jealous of that cereal milk soft serve. You must have a very refined, intelligent palate; I saw the recipe for “cereal milk” as adapted by David Lebovitz, and it is based on caramelized cornflakes.

5 vanillasugarblog June 26, 2011 at 8:20 am

oh heavens
you made my day with a visit to milk bar.
i need crack pie in my life

6 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 26, 2011 at 8:44 am

you should totally make it dawn – and then send me some…

7 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 26, 2011 at 8:50 am

I’ve been dying to try crack pie ever since they featured it in Bon Appetit…sigh. Glad your NYC trip has been such a smash success!

8 stephsnacks June 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

mmmm the pie looks so good! It’s so funny how I live in NY, yet have never heard of this place. I’ll have to check it out.

9 The Healthy Engineer June 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

The Milk Bar is def. on my list for New York (if I ever go there soon) but the Peanut Butter and Co. restaurant is on top, plus Stand for the toasted marshmallow milkshake I saw on Best Thing!! I remember the guy drinking like three of them!

10 Andrea@WellnessNotes June 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

What a sweet ending!

I have never been to NYC, and all your posts really make me want to go!

11 Cait's Plate June 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

I keep meaning to make a trip over to Momofuku – you’ve done all the things I’ve meant to do since living here for the past 4 years! Haha. That Candy Bar slice looks heavenly…I want to be eating it right now :)

12 Kristine June 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The weather looks incredibly gorgeous! Can’t wait to visit NYC and try these places.

13 Maris (In Good Taste) June 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Glad you had fun, It’s always nice to travel but oh so nice to be back home!

14 B June 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Technics shirt = Awesome!

15 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 26, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I will have to try Momofuku next time I am in NY!

16 RenRen June 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Whoa! That bagel bomb looks amazing.

17 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 27, 2011 at 6:52 am

Your trip looks fantastic! I love Milk Bar – their compost cookies make me feel like a kid again :)

18 Tasi Alabastro June 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

Gah, I miss NYC! And I’ll have to check Milk Bar out the next time I visit. This was a particularly appetizing blog entry, haha…

19 Liz June 28, 2011 at 6:30 am

Wheeeeeee! I am totally putting Crack Pie on my “to eat” list for the August in NYC jaunt. That soft serve sounds really good as well- and I probably would have picked the same flavors. Clearly this has to go on the list too. CLEARLY.

Good on you for that epic walk. The best thing about walking in NYC, imo, is that unless you really go off the beaten path you will generally be in a nabe where there is good food right about the time your body decides it’s ready to nosh. I remember staying with a friend on the Upper East side in the low 90′s and having brekkie at the Popover Cafe, then strolling to Zabar’s for coffee, and then getting on B’way and taking it all the way down to Ground Zero, stopping at Gray’s Papaya for a Recession Special right around lunch time. BLISS.

Is it true, as Steve Martin (and Missing Persons) postulated that nobody walks in LA? Do you miss it?

20 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 28, 2011 at 8:30 am

nobody walks in LA, but i take at least a half hour stroll in my neighborhood every day. for some reason after 6 years i’m still not sick of it, but walking down the same block in NYC gets boring…