Breadfast

June 25, 2011

in brunch, restaurant

My in-laws Wendy and David rode the train in from Philly to see us this morning, so we took them out to eat!

Multiple bloggers recommended Locanda Verde, a TriBeCa restaurant (part owned by Robert De Niro) which was written up in the Huffington Post as having “The Best Breakfast in NYC.”

Don’t know if that’s true, but I will say they have the best bread-fast! All I ate were doughy slices in different forms. Starting with the complimentary focaccia:

Soft pillows, swirled with balsamic glazed onions

For an appetizer, we shared their famous Sheep’s Milk Ricotta, served with burnt orange toast

Truffle honey usually comes on top, but since Wendy/David aren’t fans, it arrived on the side

Drizzled on top of my toast…

…then more with another 1/2 slice of focaccia!

For my main dish, the king of carbs – French Toast. Hazelnut crusted, with a Sicilian Citrus Salad and powdered sugar on top.

Warm maple syrup – I only needed 1/4 of this because the bread really didn’t need it…

…not too sweet, not too soggy, not too dry. With the bitter zest and salty/crunchy hazelnuts, this was such a unique combination of flavors of textures

But if you’re coming here and want something sweet, I highly recommend the dish that Wendy got – Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, with fresh blueberries and lemon curd. Light but filling, with a thin crispy crust.

All of us agreed – some of the best pancakes we’ve ever eaten.

More tastes were exchanged around the table…

…Abe’s Soft Scrambled Egg Crostino with leeks and shrooms (he asked for them to leave off the speck meat)…

…David’s Uovo Modenese – Cotechino Hash (pork), Spinach, and Tomato Hollandaise

When the busboy came to clear our tables, he was shocked.

“I don’t think I ever seen this before,” he chuckled. “Usually someone leaves SOMETHING!”

I don’t get it. This is the way The Greenwalds and The Chens eat every time we go out!!!

(P.S. – Happy early birthday, Wendy!)

Locanda Verde on Urbanspoon

1 brokencookiesdontcount June 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I think the Stiles and Benson family would fit nicely with the Chens and the Greenwalds! Grandmom always said…clean your plate children are starving in Europe!

2 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Glad your having such a fabulous time in NY! I now have a whole new group of places I need to try.

3 Pure2raw twins June 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

we always finish our plates in our family too :)
the food looked amazing

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

All of those breakfasts look delicious!! Particularly the ricotta pancakes! In the past year I’ve discovered that ricotta has so many more uses than just lasagna. It is amazing in baked goods!

5 CAH June 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Cutest picture EVER of Abe’s dad!

6 Michelle Krusiec June 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’ve eaten there and I loved my Italian meal. I ate there with a real I-talian princess and she agreed, but now I wanna go back for B-fast…. I also got my “cards” read around the corner from that place as a joke but ended up having a great time!

7 Maris (In Good Taste) June 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I want to know how you stay so thin!

8 The Healthy Engineer June 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Oh god. Those pancakes.

I’ve always wanted to try lemon ricotta ones.

9 Cindy June 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

That’s an impressive display plate cleaning abilities. Happy Birthday Wendy!!

10 gargupie June 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

That’s a popular joint and dinner reservation is a must. I had a birthday lunch there when it first opened. Not very vegetarian friendly, but at least my mom enjoyed her meal.

11 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm

truffle honey? and they wanted it on the side?! I would have just drank that :)

12 Cait's Plate June 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Aw, that was so nice of them to come! I’ve never heard of that restaurant despite all my NYC eats guides – good to know about, I may have to be making a trip there soon!

13 Rebecca Lustig June 26, 2011 at 6:45 am

Bread makes the world go round. #fact

14 Sues June 26, 2011 at 7:44 am

And now I’m totallyyy craving french toast! I love that you all cleared your plates :)

15 Liz June 28, 2011 at 6:43 am

The only people who leave things are silly slebs who CANNOT HANDLE FOOD except as something pretty to play with while they talk to their agents. Good on you folks. ;9

Lemon blueberry ricotta ‘cakes are GORE-JUS. Definitely one to try in the kitchen with the berries so cheap at the store!

Random funny story- a friend of mine were exchanging dating sob stories and she was telling me about a rather ridiculous series of dates with a guy who couldn’t understand why T accepted tastes of food from other folks’ plates (and offered her own for others to try). He thought it was weird. He said this as he snapped pics of everything they ate from a zillion different angles. Needless to say (but I’m gonna) that one didn’t last long. :p

16 Evan June 29, 2011 at 4:38 am

I’m late to comment, but I LOVE Locanda Verde! I used to live right near there, and their roast chicken is off the hook. Good choice on ordering their breadstuffs – Karen DeMasco is a rockstar pastry chef. I love reading your recaps of New York! It’s such a fun city (although, I think you have the best deal, living in SoCal).