Learning My ABC’s

June 24, 2011

in lunch, restaurant, salads, travel

When I lived in New York City, I spent 80% of my time in Union Square. And whenever I think 14th Street, ABC Carpet and Home comes to mind.

This home furnishing store has been around since 1897. I’ve never actually bought anything there (it’s crazy $$$) but I always liked walking around for inspiration

In 2010, Chef Jean-Georges opened ABC Kitchen in the back of the store. It was crowned Best New Restaurant of 2011 by the James Beard Foundation

Understandably, reservations for a place like this can be really tough. But I managed to snag one for noon today!

There is a special lunch prix menu, but neither of us were hungry enough to order from it

I went with a salad of Roasted Beets, Housemade Yogurt

Abe ordered a pizza – the most expensive one on the menu…

…listed as “mushrooms, parmesan, oregano with a farm egg”…

…but there were definitely a lot of other things going on in there. I asked the waitress, and she told me there was a garlic olive oil base, with fontina cheese.

Uh…why leave that info off the menu (it’s more important than “oregano”)?!? I know people who are allergic to garlic, and dislike fontina. Luckily, neither Abe nor I are one of them – this was one of the best pizzas we’ve ever eaten and worth every penny!

The crust gets kinda soggy and must be eaten with a fork and knife

Abe gave me a whole 1/4 of his pie in exchange for a few veggies

My salad was small but packed a punch…

…who knew yogurt, olive oil, and beets were soul mates?!?

Used three pieces of bread to sop up the remaining sauce (there was a lot left)

More pink in the sip I took from Abe’s Cherry Citrus Soda. That was worth the price tag ($5) as well.

We spent the next hour walking off our meal! Crossed the next item off my tourist to-do list:

The High Line is a public park opened in June of 2009. It runs along the West Side between 10th and 11th Avenues, from The Meatpacking District all the way to West 34th Street.

Tons of places to sit and chill:

Would be lovely to grab a snack from nearby Chelsea Market, eat and watch traffic here. Unfortunately, that will have to wait. There’s not enough time/room in my belly this trip!

ABC Kitchen on Urbanspoon

1 Emily June 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm

You’re going to all my favorite places in this city! ABC is so fun. I’ve never eaten there, but have spent much time ogling $120 bath towels.

2 Jen June 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I always loved walking through ABC. You’re blog and pics make me want to get back to NYC ASAP!

3 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

girl – it is SUCH a different city from when we lived here. the zen palate is now a TGI FRIDAYS!!!!

4 lowandbhold June 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love beets so much. Looks great!

5 AshinMT June 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Ahhh! I saw that park in the National Geographic a while ago and have been wanting to visit it since! Looks amazing and what a too cool for school way to utilize the old interstate (i think it was a interstate or something)!

6 Cindy June 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Somewhere between last nights food orgy and today’s lunch, I think I’ve decided I don’t like you very much. ;)

7 Ren Ren June 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm

The pizza looks delicious.

8 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds June 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm

That pizza looks so good! If I ever make it out to NY… I’ll have to make a stop by ABC Kitchen :)

9 pure2rawtwin June 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

love beets, that salad sounds amazing. I have been to a few restaurants and surprised that they do not list everything for a dish, but sure glad you guys liked the pizza!

10 Natalie June 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm

oh man i still havent visited the highline – i was living in new york when it opened and its on my to-do list (and ive definitely been to new york 10+ times since it’s opened and still havent gone!)

i loved the ambience of abc kitchen!! the roasted beets + yogurt were so good, and my dad ordered that pizza and loved it. next time youll have to try the dessert though, they are the bomb!

11 Ada June 25, 2011 at 2:48 am

Yay,so glad you got to try ABC Kitchen! I’ve heard really great things about it, but it’s SO hard to get a reservation, you really lucked out ! Enjoy the rest of your time in NYC:)

12 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine June 25, 2011 at 4:10 am

The beets and yogurt look super interesting…I want to create it for myself!

13 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm

:-) New York is the greatest! I am in LOVE with East Village.

14 Liz June 28, 2011 at 6:56 am

The High Line is something I’ve been dying to check out since it appeared in Nat Geo. (ARGH. ABC KITCHEN DOESN’T TAKE RESERVATIONS A MONTH IN ADVANCE. CUR. SES. I MUST HAVE YOU, BEET SALAD.)

Thanks for taking pics of the menu- roasted carrot and avocado salad, think that would go with Rockfish? (Making dinner for a friend tomorrow and that just sounds… dec.a.dent.)

So out of curiousity, do you find the vegan offerings in NYC comparable or better to those you get back in Cali?

15 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

hands down, los angeles has it all over NYC when it comes to the vegan food.