Lovin’ and Killing

June 20, 2011

in baking, dessert, take out

Abe’s really into the AMC show “The Killing,” which had its Season Finale last night. I don’t watch it, but our family members do, so we joined them for a dinner and proper viewing party.

I brought dessert:

Lovin’ Scoopful sent some coupons to try their Gourmet Light Ice Cream. I picked this guy up en route to the beach house:

Aside from their wonderful concept, philosophy, and cause, I’m really diggin’ this company’s delicious-sounding flavors!

Knowing that my cousins Noah and Maya love cheesecake, I picked up 1/2 gallon of the Rockin Raspberry Cheesecake. Lovin’ Scoopful doesn’t skimp on the mix-ins:

To go along with the ice cream, I baked this crisp, which took less than 15 minutes to put together (with the help of Maya)

Granola-Apple Crisp (from Food Network Kitchens)

Ingredients:

• 3 TB Butter
  • 1.5 cups prepared Granola (I used Ambrosial’s Walnut, Date, and Cashew)
  • 2 TB All Purpose Flour
  • 1 TB White Sugar, plus 1/4 cup
  • 5 Fuji Apples, cored and cut with an apple slicer
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
  • 1 TB Fresh Lemon Juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the granola, 1 TB flour, 1 TB sugar and toss until everything is dissolved and the granola is coated. Set aside.

In the same pan at the same heat level, toss the apples with the cinnamon/nutmeg, lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are juicy and slightly soft (around 5-7 minutes). Stir in the remaining 1 TB flour.

Pour into a greased baking pan and scatter the reserved granola mixture evenly over the top.

Cover and put in the oven for 30 minutes, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes.

While dessert baked, we ate delivery from Urth Caffe (the Santa Monica location)

I ordered a dish I haven’t had in years but LOVE – The Nori Plum Rice Wrap

Avocado, organic brown rice, carrots, broccoli, green onions, umeboshi plum paste, and five spice tofu. It’s super flavorful and doesn’t even need the soy sauce, which comes on the side.

I gave a few rolls away, and received a bit of a Panini Caprese in return (mozzarella, roasted peppers, sun dried tomato, fresh basil, and pesto, and olive spread)

Also scored Noah’s olives for my greens

(The salad dressing wound up on some crusty bread too)

Dinner was finished a few minutes before dessert was!

I helped myself to a heaping spoonful of the hot crisp…

…and a lovin’ scoopful of the frozen stuff

A delightful dinner! Sadly, the family was NOT delighted with the finale of “The Killing.” I didn’t participate (I blogged this entire post while they watched) and I’m really glad I never invested myself with that series. They were pissed!

Urth Caffé on Urbanspoon

1 lowandbhold June 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

Haha, I saw a marathon of the show on, but didn’t watch it. Glad I didn’t after hearing how mad everyone is.

2 Tamara Christie June 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

From what I saw on FB, they weren’t the only ones disappointed in the finale. I’m glad I didn’t watch the show!

The crisp looks divine. :)

3 Annie June 20, 2011 at 9:12 am

that wrap looks sooo delish!

4 Cindy June 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

Yep. I was pissed too with final episode. Feel like I was strung along and left with nothing but the same questions that started with the first episode. I would rather have spent my evening eating your apple crisp.

5 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yum! I love it when you can do a “group” television show viewing. My sister and her friends watch The Bachelor series together every year :-)

6 Shirley June 20, 2011 at 11:05 am

ROFLMAO! Based on the theory “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”, I had a feeling this show might be yet another network con, so I passed on the show. After reading how ticked off everyone is, glad I followed my instincts.

7 Carrie @ TV and Dinners June 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

My Twitter feed was an absolute explosion of hate for The Killing finale. It was pretty darn maddening.

8 Jessie June 20, 2011 at 11:28 am

I had to laugh at that ice cream flavor “What the Fudge” hehe :P Even though The Killing finale wasn’t so good, at least you had a yummy dessert! That apple crisp – mmm, baby! Perfect with ice cream!

9 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) June 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Dinner and dessert both look amazing! I didn’t see any of that show. I wondered how it would be?

10 Andrea@WellnessNotes June 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Andy loves The Killing but didn’t see the finale yesterday. He read online that many people were disappointed…

Dinner and dessert look amazing!

11 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Those nori rolls look amazing! I am going to have to try making them at home.

12 Maris (In Good Taste) June 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm

They must of been happy to see you with that awesome dessert!

13 The Healthy Engineer June 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm

For someone who loves cake, it’s surprising, but I hate cheesecake!! I know it’s crazy but I don’t like cream cheese too much so maybe that’s why.

But any other ice cream or frozen yogurt sounds perfect right now

14 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

my husband doesn’t like it as well! but the weird thing is, he LIKES cream cheese?!?

15 Pure2raw twins June 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I am so glad I cannot eat dairy anymore or I would be all over that ice cream! YUM!

16 wyn June 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

The nori plum wrap looks crazy with all the different fillings. My kinda special roll.

17 LeQuan June 23, 2011 at 10:47 am

Your food always makes me so hungry. I would be so all over that cheese cake ice cream. I need to stop blog reading on an empty stomach. Lol at the last paragraph of this post!