Luna Park

June 17, 2011

in dessert, dinner, restaurant

There were plans for a Korean BBQ dinner, so I’d been prepping my stomach all yesterday for a meat-fest:

Unfortunately, things fell through last minute and we had to postpone. Luckily, Abe’s evening meeting was also cancelled so we had an impromptu date night!

We used to eat at Luna Park pretty often – it’s got a nice vibe, good food, reasonable prices, centrally-located, easy to make reservations, kid-friendly….but since starting the food blog I want to try new places every time we eat out, so we haven’t been back in at least two years.

So glad I purchased the recent Groupon deal, because last night reminded me of why we used to be regulars.

The reviews on yelp are pretty mixed, but here are my tips for a good experience here – if you’re coming for dinner, the absolute best time to arrive is 7pm, just as street parking on La Brea becomes available. Snatch a spot at a meter, and you won’t have to pay for valet. Also, make a reservation on Opentable – it’s a cinch, you’ll earn points, and probably score one of their cozy booths!

We were pleasantly surprised to see our server when we sat down – one of our neighborhood friends, Constance! She walked us through the menu – featuring their Prix Fixe Dinner (which was included with the Groupon deal).

If you plan on getting an appetizer and dessert, it is just plain silly not to order off this special menu. I did, and with the addition of Abe’s entree, it was plenty of food to share.

We started with the Cauliflower Appetizer

A nice variety of colors (including purple!) – roasted with Calabrian Chilies and Capers. Not overcooked, nor spicy.

Even though I had been prepared to eat massive amounts of Bulgogi all evening, I wanted something light, so Constance suggested the Scottish Salmon, sauce on the side.

The fish was delicious – nice crispy crust, flakey and tender – on top of Creamy, Garlicky Mashed Potato

Carrots and Broccoli Rabe roasted to perfection – without a trace of bitterness in the greens

I didn’t even wind up using a drop of the Buerre Blanc!

Abe let me try his Veggie Burger (homemade, on a Brioche bun)

There was a seasoning in it I didn’t love, but he was very into it. I did enjoy some of his pickle and a few handfuls of his fries, which were my favorite size and nicely seasoned – dipped in lots of Dijon mustard…

…and potato.

For dessert, Constance suggested the Strawberry and Blackberry Shortcake – it’s a seasonal special and won’t be on the menu for long. I decided to go with the Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Pie instead, since my chocolate craving was pretty strong. (FYI – their S’mores were featured on “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” too.)

She wound up hooking us up with both!!!

So happy she did – the homemade whipped cream, sweet compote, and warm savory biscuit were a blissful combo. I devoured about 1/3 of this…

…and 2/3 of this – which tasted like a Reese’s Peanut Butter cup whipped into a pie with a Graham Cracker Crust. Heaven.

I doubt it will be another two years before we eat here again!

Luna Park on Urbanspoon

1 Cindy June 17, 2011 at 9:03 am

Yum!! That’s my kind of meal! You realize you are responsible for the drool stain on my desk, right?

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

That place looks fantastic!! I love the chandeliers! And prix fixed menus are the best. You get so much food for what ends up being a pretty reasonable price.

3 Andrea@WellnessNotes June 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

So glad you had such a nice impromptu date night! All the food makes me hungry! :)

4 Jan Schifter June 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

that meal looks amazing! There is nothing like that in the valley!

5 Monique June 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Now that is a restaurant I am going to add to my to-do list :)

6 Maris (In Good Taste) June 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Everything looks so scrumptious!

7 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

Ohhhh my gosh that PB chocolate mousse pie looks heavenly. I love prix fixe menus- such a deal and three courses makes the meal feel more special!

8 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) June 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Wow, that looks like an amazing meal! I can’t think of anything you ate that didn’t sound and look amazing! Even the apple!

9 The Healthy Engineer June 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I love the Best Thing I Ever Ate! I get tired of the Food Network easily, but that is one show I’m loyal to. Luna Park is now on my list for the smores.

10 Lisa June 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Sounds like a delicious date night! Hope you get that Bulgogi soon, though. I just had barbecue Bulgogi (a new recipe by my father-in-law) a few days ago, and I am still talking about it!

11 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Just had some for lunch today! Check the newest blog post!

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

12 allie@sweetpotatobites June 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I love Luna Park! One of my favorites is the goat cheese fondue with the green apple slices and bread – so yum.

I need to get in there soon to try the Strawberry and Blackberry Shortcake!

13 Pure2raw twins June 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm

ok seriously you guys have the best restaurants

14 gluttonandstudent June 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

That meal looks so delicious – I’m loving the goodlooking crust on the salmon.

15 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

That food looks fantastic!!!

Korean food is my fave – I love kimchi more than anything else I think :-)

16 Lisa June 23, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Really, kimchi? I am still developing a taste for it. So far I’ve had it on burgers and thought it was pretty good. Any other ideas for me? :)

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm

you can put kimchi in anything and it’s delicious – i’ve even had it in a philly cheesesteak before! http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/2010/04/03/lynn-lees-philly-gogi-truck/

18 Lisa June 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

Wow, that sounds delicious! I am going to have to find a Gogi truck!!