Life is Delicious

June 3, 2011

in dessert, dinner, restaurant, vegan

I’ve blogged about M Cafe about a million times

It’s no secret that it’s one of my favorite Los Angeles restaurants!

That’s why last night’s dinner was beyond exhilarating – they invited me to try two “secret” dishes that you won’t find on their menus, but are available at both of their locations for those in-the-know…

Chili Cheese Fries

and The Loaded Burger

The organic fries are covered in Chili Beans and Daiya Cheese

The “Loaded” version is their Big Macro,with the addition of Tempeh Bacon and Fresh Avocado

Comes with a choice of your side – we got their famous Kale, of course

Abe and I split everything evenly

The fries were first to go – they needed to be eaten with a fork.

Everything was hearty and comforting; perfect for those skeptical of the “vegan” or “macrobiotic” label.  Loved the extra chew on the burger too:

All of the above were comped to review for the blog, but we couldn’t resist dessert and forked over $7 for this strawberry shortcake

Well worth $3.50/each – creamy, loaded with fruit, and completely naturally sweetened – with no eggs or dairy

As usual, we saw a few celebs there – which you already know if you follow me on twitter:

The last person I mentioned was Lee Gross, one of M Cafe’s consulting chefs, who is in town to launch a few seasonal summer items.

He revealed to me some of the salads that will be in their cases by the end of June, including a few raw options. When asked what inspires his creations, he replied, “Life.”

Lee’s life must be pretty amazing, because his food is beyond words.

M Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 Colline June 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

Yummmm, food looks good :)

2 Joey Ling June 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

the food looks so yummy~

3 Sara K June 3, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve never tried Daiya, I’m curious though to see how it tastes in comparison to real cheese

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 3, 2011 at 10:55 am

of all the vegan cheeses i’ve tried, it melts the best!

5 Gillian June 3, 2011 at 8:35 am

I’m dying to re-create those fries!!!

6 jessica o'brien | jessohbee June 3, 2011 at 8:53 am

i loooooove M Cafe. their Big Macro is one of my favorite veggie burgers. and that peanut sauced kale? heaven.

7 Julie (A Case of the Runs) June 3, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’ve been here one time, but not sure if I saw someone famous…

8 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 3, 2011 at 9:11 am

Those fries look like something I ate in college only better.

9 Katharina June 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh man! When I’m in LA I’m going there, and calling you up ;) that place sounds awesome!!!

XO!

10 emily (a nutritionist eats) June 3, 2011 at 10:28 am

How cool Lynn! I WILL go there next time I’m in LA! :)

11 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 3, 2011 at 10:51 am

Those fries look unbelievably good. And I can’t believe that dessert is vegan! It looks so creamy dreamy. It just goes to show you can do anything and everything with the ingredients you have if you know what you’re doing :) So amazing!

12 Pure2raw twins June 3, 2011 at 11:01 am

the kale looks amazing, craving a kale salad now, yum!

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

their version is truly crack. people who don’t even like kale love this. and people who love kale (like us)…SWOOOOOON

14 Pure2raw twins June 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm

okay now I am really craving some ;)

15 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh, I am going to have to try Daiya cheese – it looks delicious on those fries.

16 miriam June 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm

It’s the saddest thing even when you finally watch the last episode of Party Down…and realize there aren’t any more.

“Are we having fun yet?”

haha, you didn’t say that to him, I am assuming… :D

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm

oh my LORD i wish i HAD said that. no i didn’t approach him at all.

18 elise June 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm

so glad im “in the know” now…i need to get myself to m cafe stat!!!

19 Maris (In Good Taste) June 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Am now really starving!

20 Annie June 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

everything looks soo delicious!

21 Lauren June 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I am dying for some strawberry shortcake now! :)

22 Erica June 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

owwww! Both look awesome! ESPECIALLY those fries! How fantastic. Glad you enjoyed the meal.

23 willgoh2 June 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I have been reading your blog for a while now and this is my first time posting a comment. I enjoy that you A) post practically ev.er.y. day. and that your posts about food isn’t some snobby, gourmet speak sort of thing (not there’s anything wrong with gourmet food, just some people review it over the top). Anyway, I don’t have a eating disorder or anything and I am a total meat eater but your blog still speaks to me. I do, however, have food issues that some would label as “picky” -for instance I don’t like dried fruit of any sort, I eat tomatoes only if it’s cooked down, minced, chunked, etc but if it’s a wedge or larger and I don’t have a knife I can’t eat it. I’ll eat blueberries but only if it’s cooked, but I won’t eat cooked strawberries and hate cherries all together. You get the picture. Anyway, all that to say that I enjoy reading your blog and seeing the pictures of the food even though half the time I wouldn’t eat the stuff (there’s that dried fruit issue again!) and I think part of the reason is because while I may not like some of the foods you eat I know the texture and for me… texture plays a part in my enjoyment of consuming food. I love mixing textures -cold, sweet, and creamy with something crunchy (yogurt w/ granola), rice with gravy, oatmeal on toast… you get it. Anyway, thanks for sharing your eating journey with us, every day I look forward to seeing what you’ve sampled.

24 Ameena June 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I saw Elizabeth Berkeley at M Cafe the other day…how funny. Isn’t she gorgeous?

25 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 4, 2011 at 9:34 am

Chili cheese fries = a perfect food.

26 Liz June 8, 2011 at 6:06 am

I had their beet lemonade a few years ago in BH- still remember that. The nibbles we had were good too, but the lemonade blew my tiny mind.

Recently gave up dairy and now checking your blog with renewed interest for hints and tips and signs that there is yummy food (desserts especially) sans lactose. :D