Gimme a Break

May 31, 2011

in eating disorders, product review

After a long weekend filled with too much food, my body desperately needs a break!!! I woke up this morning feeling tired, ache-y, bloated, and had a few zits to remind me that I did, indeed, overdo it.

I’ve blogged in the past about planning to overeat – and the difference between this behavior and my old binges. Lately it’s been happening a lot more than usual, and I realized that I haven’t had my regular emotional outlets. I haven’t seen my shrink in over a month because of the “Yes We’re Open” shoot, and I’ve also been neglecting my daily morning journal.

Not only has the food been a sign of accumulation, but there are literally piles of stuff around the house. Today was a reminder that I need to actually deal with everything.

I finally put away the laundry that I washed last week….

…and filled a few pages of my journal

Space feng-shui’ed, feelings acknowledged – what next?!?

Keeping hydrated is important. Activate Drinks sent a few of their Vitamin Waters to sample.

This is the Blueberry Pomegranate, a.k.a. their Antioxidant flavor

When you break open the cap, it releases all the vitamins, turning the water blue.

Using both Stevia and Maltodextrin, the taste was a bit too sweet for me. I finished about 1/2 the bottle.

Around 2pm, my stomach started growling and I dug into my favorite food to reset it - 1/2 a cantaloupe.

Here’s the “recipe”

Wash the melon – since you’re cutting the fruit, anything on the surface will go through the inside, along with the knife

Scoop out the seeds with a spoon (Angelenos, you can discard them in the green compost bin!)

Devour!

I love these because they’re fun to eat, filling, and take forever…

…I really go to town on them – the melon is just a shell of its former self.

I even eat the green parts, depending on how ripe they are. This one was particularly sweet, almost see-through by the time I was done with it

To go along with the ‘loupe, I sipped on my other fave – miso soup

I’ve posted about how I make this a few times before, but since I’m sharing “recipes”….

Combine one tablespoon miso paste with 1 cup hot water. Add 1/2 a torn sheet of nori, and Ume Plum Vinegar to taste

Hopefully, in a few hours, I’ll feel up to eating again. By tomorrow, my stomach should be back to its old self, and I will attempt not to overload it (or my emotions) too soon.

1 Julienne May 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I’m glad you had some “alone” time to recollect yourself. :) G’luck with the GI reset.

2 Simply Life May 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

glad you know what you need for emotional outlets and that you’re doing exactly that!

3 vanillasugarblog May 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm

you know what i love when i feel icky? that coconut juice from http://amyandbriannaturals.com/
this always makes me feel good. i do this with a fruit detox, then salad. this coconut juice is the real deal, not that designer crap in those fancy bottles.

4 Julie (A Case of the Runs) May 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm

That melon looks so refreshing! I am a little bit allergic to canteloupes and especially honeydew, so I doubt I could eat all that in one sitting and not get a scratchy throat from it.

5 Lauren May 31, 2011 at 5:12 pm

It’s so normal to notice our old habits coming through some times, but the difference in knowing that we are in a better place is that when we detect them, we change the behavior. Good for you Lynn! :)

6 Krystina (Organically Me) May 31, 2011 at 5:17 pm

It’s good that you’re so self aware and in tune to your body. You’ll be back to normal in no time. :)

7 Huacachina May 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm

yum, that’s how I like my cantaloupes too.

I hope you feel better soon…a daily journal is a great idea- something I’ve neglected for more than a year.

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 31, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I am so happy it’s cantaloup season! I ate almost an entire one today. It made me so happy. I hope you’re having a relaxing evening Lynn.

9 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds May 31, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I know what you mean about overdoing it. I just came back from a 5-week vacation to Europe… and I totally overdid it with the bread & butter! Not to mention the chocolate & pastries :)

10 chezjulie May 31, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Emotional outlets are good! I think there is something to be said for getting back home and settling into a regular routine with food, too.

11 kimmiyori May 31, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I need to visit my shrink too.
What a great Global knife you have! I sliced my finger with mine (8″ chef’s) the other day, but it is still my fave. I totally agree with the idea of planned over-eating. Spare the guilt and don’t spoil the appetite.

12 wlo May 31, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hey – Are you a fan of artichokes? I know you like food that takes a long time to eat, and these take me forever to finish. They’re in season right now and are delicious! I steam them with bay leaf, oregano, pepper, salt, and lemon juice and eat them one leaf at a time until I get to the choke – which is even more delicious. I’ve timed myself, and I can’t eat one in less than 20 min – which is shocking because I am a very fast eater!

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 31, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Yes I love them!!! Thanks for the reminder that they’re in season

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

14 Katharina May 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm

<3 much love to you. I know how you feel when you temporarily abandon the things that help keep you grounded. But I find that those moments are there to remind us that in the end we do care about ourselves and that we know how to :)

XO!

15 Megan June 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

I’ll use that idea of miso soup. I usually go with making it from scratch which takes some time or I use the instant ones, but I don’t like the taste of it. I was watching Law & Order, was that you as the victim? I was kind of excited because I know you loosely from your blog and thought “hey that looks like lynn!”

16 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

yeah, i do love a nice miso with dashi but who has time?!? yes – i’ve done a couple Law and Order episodes – i only played a victim in L&O: SVU, was that the one you saw? where i was involved with a gang?

17 emily June 1, 2011 at 3:17 am

Cleaning my space always helps me clear the mental clutter, too. It’s amazing how our eating and environment can affect our mood.

Hope you are feeling back to yourself again soon, Lynn!

18 Pure2raw twins June 1, 2011 at 4:54 am

oh hope you stomach feels better. I hear ya on stomach issues, I have been so busy lately (sorry for the lack of comments) and my eats have not been normal. Hopefully soon I can get back on track.

19 Tamara June 1, 2011 at 5:15 am

I normally don’t like talk about “getting back on track” or whatnot after eating more than usual, but right now I know how you feel! I was away for Memorial Day weekend staying with fantastic cooks, and then I bought some phenomenal coconut ice creams that were on sale, and it wasn’t until yesterday morning that it sunk in how much I had overloaded my digestive system. It is not happy, and probably won’t be for a couple of days. I wish I was in California and could live off some juicy, fiber-filled cantaloupe to help…but to get the melons out here to Indiana they pick them green and refrigerate the heck out of them, so they’re all dry and not sweet at all :(

20 brokencookiesdontcount June 1, 2011 at 5:26 am

Boy, Lynn, you certainly know how to eat a cantaloupe!! I love them too, but I cut them up and keep them in the fridge so that my husband can share them. He loves the cold fresh fruit.
I had asked you previously about where you get your miso soup packets and I did finally find them in the local grocery store. I haven’t tried them yet but I hope to this week. I like the recipe though…now I have NEW indredients to find!
Also, it’s great to find another Tootsie Pop Freak! http://brokencookiesdontcount.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/toot-toot-tootsie/ I’m still searching for the Carmel flavor you mentioned a while back. Thanks, I always enjoy reading T.A.D. !:-)

21 Lindsay June 1, 2011 at 6:54 am

This post makes me want to eat a cantaloupe! (and I don’t even really enjoy cantaloupe :) I’ve been meaning to ask, where did you get your spoons/silverware? I really like it! :)

22 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

they’re from Bed Bath and Beyond, over 8 years ago!

23 Pandacake June 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hi Lynn, I have followed your blog for a year now, and this is the first tiem Ive ever left a comment *blush*
I am 17 years old now, and I too suffer from anorexia/bulimia with binge-purge sub-type, thouh currently wroking towards getting better. I would like to personally thank you for all the strength you have unknowingly given me. This week has been tough for me, and I too have……slipped and over-indulged for bout 3 days now (a personal record hahaha). This post has been affirming to me, to realise that we all suffer set backs and I am not weak, a freak or failure for my behaviour. Thanks Lynn :)

24 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

thank you for sharing – it’s the reason i keep writing this blog!

25 Stephanie @ StephSnacks June 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

I think it is really admirable to be able to know when you have or have not gone ‘over board’ with eating. I tend to do the same, and have to reflect on why/how I have been eating differently. It only takes a couple days to get back into my routine, and I wind up feeling much better!

26 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) June 1, 2011 at 8:30 am

hope youre feeling better!

I love seeing what ppl eat when they reach for their fave comfort foods…the “miso paste with 1 cup hot water. Add 1/2 a torn sheet of nori, and Ume Plum Vinegar to taste”–cool info!