Where’s the Easter Bunny?

April 24, 2011

in restaurant, snacks, soup/stew

Happy Easter!

I haven’t really celebrated this holiday since I was a kid (and religious) but it still feels weird being away from home and Abe. I woke up early and took a walk to the Whole Foods in Pacific Heights

The weather was really weird this morning – a mix of sun and drizzle.

By the afternoon it cleared up and got sunny, right before lunch and rehearsal with our director Rich

There was a little wait at Shanghai Dumpling King, and it got even longer after we sat down

There were 4 of us and we each ordered a dish to share.

I picked a veg (of course) – sauteed snow peas with garlic

Minced pork…

…with hiding noodles

Beef with Broccoli – and a couple carrots too

The house specialty – Xiao Long Bao

I ate about 3 or 4 of these – filled with pork and soup!

Two platefuls that looked like this

And about three pieces of the crispiest scallion pancakes I’ve ever tasted

Light and fluffy, almost like Puri!

We rehearsed for a few hours, then came back to the hotel and I repeated the first half of my day again – walk, talk on the phone with Abe, and computer work.

No Easter eggs. No chocolate bunnies. No jelly beans. No lamb. No ham. Just some late night snacks.

Along with the mini Chocolate and Coconut Raw Revolution, apple and cocoa, I tried a new product

These instant packets will have to replace my stripped down miso soup habit – cause there’s no fridge here!

Tomorrow is two things – the start of the film shoot and the day Easter candy goes on sale!

Did you celebrate today?

Shanghai Dumpling King on Urbanspoon

1 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 24, 2011 at 9:43 pm

We went to the NY Easter parade today :-) It was fun!

Those noodles look so good – I never seem to order the right kinds of noodles. I want some that look like that!

2 Sara K April 24, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Those garlic snowpeas look delightful! I’ve never been to Shanghai Dumpling House but have seen a decent crowd there multiple times…perhaps should give it a shot!

3 Serena April 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Did the staff come by enticing you with sugar donuts? I had some Xiao Long Bao last night and was contemplating on looking up the recipe to make at home sometime.

4 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine April 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love that you posted a link to Manjula’s Kitchen! I love her and her youtube videos! She is awesome.
Do you have a scallion pancake recipe? I’ve tried making them a few times but they’re always duds.

5 clairedille April 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm

So funny but we were so close again today…I was up in berkeley! hope you have a great time filming up north!

6 Ellie April 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Oh how I love scallions and cakes combined together~and have fun filming! :D

7 Lauren April 25, 2011 at 3:44 am

It’s odd being away on any holiday or occasion, probably because holiday’s are always so traditional. It looks like you still had a great Easter, but I’m sure Abe missed you like crazy!

8 VeggieGirl April 25, 2011 at 3:56 am

Oooh delicious food! Easter was low-key since I just got back in town on Saturday evening, so I had a lot of unpacking to do and also dance practice.

9 Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 25, 2011 at 4:55 am

We celebrated with family and friends some we didn’t expect but were thrilled to have with us, my husband’s son and grandsons!
I did my best to be in control. A BIG bowl of salad before the best mac & cheese and green beans, then another big bowl of salad ot keep me satisfied. It worked well!

10 Pure2raw twins April 25, 2011 at 5:47 am

I did not have a traditional Easter either. Being away from family is hard especially around holidays.

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 25, 2011 at 5:48 am

There’s soup inside those steamed buns? Sweet!

12 jaclyn@lifeoftodayslady April 25, 2011 at 6:55 am

You need to go get yourself some Easter candy!! I definitely waited for today to get the 50% off candy….. that way I get to buy 50% more!

13 lowandbhold April 25, 2011 at 7:00 am

I did celebrate Easter. It’s one of my favorite Christian holidays.
The pork and noodle dish looks fab!

14 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 25, 2011 at 7:40 am

Now you have me craving dumplings!

15 Amanda April 25, 2011 at 9:22 am

We didn’t end up celebrating this year. Andy had to leave on a trip so we spent most of the day just hanging out. It’s weird not doing brunch or dinner with family.

16 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm

That meal at the Shanghai Dumpling King looks amazing!!

I am definitely putting it on my list of restaurants to hit in San Fran.

Good luck with the shooting!

17 Hungry Dancer April 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm

All that food look to die for!!! I didn’t celebrate easter, I celebrated my cousins birthday!!

18 Eat. Travel. Eat! April 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Those are the most crispy and unusual green onion pancakes I’ve ever seen! They almost look like crackers with the smooth and blistered surface.

19 LeQuan May 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Luv luv luv snow pea tips! I don’t eat pork much, but xiao long bao with soup inside is a whole new story – yummers!