Akasha

April 21, 2011

in dessert, dinner, restaurant

My days with Abe are numbered! We went out for a fancy date last night.

There was some kind of Earth Day celebration going on, hence the balloons.

I had an Opentable deal for half-off at Akasha in Culver City. There was a long wait at 7:30pm so I’m glad I made reservations. We were seated at a table near Fran Drescher

…maybe you can see her better in this picture, blowing her nose behind me.

At the server’s suggestion, I ordered the Niman Ranch Pork Chop

Green tomato chutney

Over some cheddar grits and braised chard

I haven’t had a pork chop in years! The first bite was perfect, but the meal went downhill from there. Too much fat to spit out.

The sides were stellar though – I know Akasha more for its veggie-friendly options. Stole one of Abe’s onion rings – dipped in smoked paprika aioli

Plus some of his (veeeery thin crust) Margherita Pizza

I was still hungry and asked for bread. It never came out before the meal – not sure if that was an oversight or standard policy

Used two pieces to soak up the remaining noire de chambly jus

I had looked over the dessert menu online, and already knew what I wanted

Salty Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar, topped with sea salt and caramel

…with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Gelato

Crushed candied peanuts

Evenly divided – crumbles and all!

Akasha on Urbanspoon

1 Sara K April 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

That dessert is mouthwatering like no other. Holy mother of chocolate and peanut butter…definitely need some sweet tooth indulgence today!

2 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) April 21, 2011 at 8:31 am

That stinks there was too much fat. The desserts sound amazing though!

3 Tinfoils Tiaras April 21, 2011 at 8:43 am

Omigosh this meal is making me drool a little bit- especially the dessert! As a vegetarian, this place is definitely on my must try next time I’m visiting!

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

You were seated by the Nanny?! That place just got so much cooler to me, haha. That dessert looks fantastic. You can never go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter.

5 gluttonandstudent April 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

I live five minutes away from Akasha and have been meaning to go there for ages – this review gives me all the more reason to go!

I’ve heard that their onion rings are MEAN, and that dessert looks sooooo good

6 jessica o'brien | jessohbee April 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

it’s ironic that they marked the earth day celebration with balloons, one of the most damaging things for the earth. fabulous…

i love akasha’s interior, but have never had a great experience there. food is total hit or miss and my service is always underwhelming.

7 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 21, 2011 at 10:55 am

ha – you’re so right…

8 Lauren April 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

Oh wow, that dessert looks epic!

9 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

I was all excited about the cheddar cheese grits…but then I saw dessert…and I literally lost control of my tastebuds.

10 321delish April 21, 2011 at 10:58 am

forget dinner! That dessert looks decadent!

I like pork chops, but sometimes restaurants think that the fattyness gives it flavor…not so much in my opinion…

11 thehealthyapron April 21, 2011 at 11:17 am

ah! Fran drescher! I watched the nanny ALOT growing up haha probably too much! Too cool!

ps. that dessert looks incredible!

12 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Oh, I hate it when you order a piece of meat and it ends up being too fatty to eat, blek ((

Abe’s pizza looked yummy!

13 leftcoastcontessa April 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

The pizza and the cheesy grits look soooooooo good. Too bad about the fatty pork.

14 kimmie April 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

YUM! that looks SO good. and I want some, even though I just finished lunch, haha.

Anyway, I watched Saving Face last night. I can’t believe how pretty you are! :)

15 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm

aw, thanks – and thanks for watching it!

16 Cooking Gallery April 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Everything looks so delicious…! Especially the dessert, drooling here….!!

17 kimbirdy April 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

i got most excited about those onion rings! :) looks like i have a new restaurant to add to our list. and i’ll be thinking of you when you’re shooting in san francisco! you probably already know about this, but rainbow grocery is an amazing health food store in the city which sells a lot of the things i see on your blog. the bonus is it’s way cheaper than whole foods. just fyi.

18 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

awesome! thanks for the info!

19 Pure2raw twins April 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

omg!! those desserts look amazing!!

20 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

Mmmm, that looks like a great dinner out!

I have never had grits before!