It Takes a Congee Village

April 5, 2011

in dinner, restaurant

I’ve really turned into what Kanye would call “a spoiled little L.A. girl

A little bit of rain and I become immobile! Abe took the bus into Manhattan but I stayed warm and cozy in my parents’ NJ home.

Breakfast was the other half of my Cresskill Raisin Bagel, toasted with peanut butter and a side of grapes

We did wind up going into the city after all (but in the safety of the car) to pick up Abe…

…and for a late lunch/early dinner

My folks took us out to celebrate our 8th anniversary! It’s actually tomorrow, but we’ll be on a plane most of the day.

There are a few locations of Congee Village – this is the original one on Allen Street

Not your typical Chinese restaurant decor!

I let my mom do the ordering in Cantonese.

The House Special Chicken

Removed most of the skin, but I did devour the crispy whole garlic!

2 types of congee, of course – one was vegetarian for Abe

The other was Sliced Beef and Fish – I tried a small bowl with chili sauce

Sauteed Snow Pea Leaves with Garlic

Pan Fried Bean Curd with Soy Sauce

The veg dishes were fine, but the meat’s where it’s at!

Pan Fried Mince Pork with Salted Fish – this was like hamburger and I ate most of it :)

A dish not even on the menu – fragrant seasoned rice with Chinese sausage

I had about 4 or 5 different variations of this plate – the last one was ALL meat. I guess I miss my Chinese carnivorous side living in Los Angeles with a vegetarian!

No appealing dessert options on the menu – I remembered I’d pocketed some dessert from Bubs’ Reception and passed them around.

Broke off half the gingerbread man and a chocolate cookie under the table. Slipped into my mouth like drugs.

Thanks for dinner (and the trip into the city) Mom and Dad!

Congee Village on Urbanspoon

1 It All Changes April 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

It is so fun to go to a restaurant and order in the native language. I find food always tastes better. I need to borrow your mom for a good meal :-)

2 Serena April 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm

How often do you break out the Chinese, what dialects?

3 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm

i only speak mandarin. poorly. i break it out only when necessary.

4 Gail April 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Wow! I wish I were there with all of you eating such delicious platters, and enjoying your company. Happy Anniversary.

5 Pure2raw twins April 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

This post made me hungry again haha

Isn’t so much fun going out to eat the our parents now :) Our parents are visiting us here soon after our birthday at the end of the month we are really excited! Your parents are so cute :)

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Now you’ve made me curious- what exactly is congee?

7 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm

rice porridge!

8 lowandbhold April 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Nothing spoiled about staying out of the rain if you have the option. I’d definitely do the same.

9 gluttonandstudent April 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm

There are some great places in L.A. that serve congee – albeit they’re Vietnamese. But still tasty!
I’ve heard about Congee Village and after seeing how tasty your meal looks, I am definitely going to have to try it next time I’m in NYC.

10 mitzi @ my nikon eats food April 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

crispy whole garlic – girl after my own heart!
adorable photo of you two =)

11 Tasha April 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm

You look like your mom!

12 LeQuan April 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Snow pea leaves are one of my faves. Glad you were able to spend some good family time together. Hope you both have a safe trip back tomorrow. Will be back to wish you a happy anniversary.

13 wyn April 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Cool graphic on the menu cover — the word for congee is kind of blended (poorly) into the bowl graphic. My favourite dish is by far the pan-fried tofu with the yummy sauce!

14 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA April 6, 2011 at 12:21 am

Oh I miss congee! But we called it zhou in Beijing. I lived right by a restaurant entirely devoted to zhou. Date flavored was my favorite!

15 Marcel Samson April 6, 2011 at 1:29 am

Man, I love congee. Never figured out how to properly make it, and I have no idea how to use the congee option on my chinese brand rice cooker. Need to get that manual translated, and fast, haha. Those dishes look yummy btw, especially the chicken, the snow pea leaves and the dish with the chinese sausage :).

And of course, a happy 8th anniversary you two! Have a lovely day :)

16 squigglefloey April 6, 2011 at 2:45 am

I would always go with my dad to Downtown LA when I was younger and he would go to Phoenix Inn to get their congee. They opened one in alhambra though so now it’s a lot closer! :)

17 Simply Life April 6, 2011 at 4:21 am

happy anniversary – what a fun way to celebrate!

18 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 6, 2011 at 5:21 am

The congee looked great – Congee or soft tofu soup are my favorite comfort foods.

Snow pea leaves? Ohh, something new for me to try!

19 TheCreamFilling April 6, 2011 at 6:01 am

Haha I feel like such a boss when I go to Chinese restaurants with my friends and I speak to the waiters in Mandarin :D

Yum yum I love eating garlic straight up. People I am dining with don’t like it when I do that though… Haha

20 Runeatrepeat April 6, 2011 at 7:25 am

Love the cookie dessert – something I would do for sure :)

21 Erica April 6, 2011 at 7:51 am

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!! What a great meal to celebrate. And I love eating whole clumps of roasted garlic…I just always make sure Josh is doing the same haha.

22 Julie (A Case of the Runs) April 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

Was there black egg in the congee? THAT is where it’s at. =D

23 kimbirdy April 6, 2011 at 9:58 am

oh happy anniversary!!! i hope you can do something special today {and not just sit on a plane for 6 hours}. :)

24 R @ Learning As I Chop April 6, 2011 at 10:57 am

Aww, that’s sweet. Happy anniversary!

25 elise April 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

awww…glad you got to visit the fam.
is pan fried bean curd the same as tofu?

26 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Usually been curd is tougher like tofu skin. But this was soft like regular silken tofu!!!

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

27 Madelyne April 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Happy aniversarry! You and your mother have similar eyes, so pretty.