Le Castagne

April 3, 2011

in dessert, dinner, restaurant, travel

After Bubs’ Beach Memorial, I went back to my hotel, got a little work done, then met everyone for dinner

IMG_2001.JPG

First to arrive at our lovely table!

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

Le Castagne” means “Chestnut” in Italian

IMG_2011.JPG

Mostly because it’s ON Chestnut Street (there are also a few castagnes on the menu).

IMG_2014.JPG

I was pretty full from lunch, but still enjoyed every bite that went into my mouth.

Starting with a HOT (not just warm!) doughy PERFECT roll dipped in sun-dried tomato pesto

IMG_2019.JPG

Antipasti for the table

IMG_2023.JPG

A taste of each – prosciutto, tomato, artichoke, roasted red pepper, olives, mozzarella, eggplant, and lentils

IMG_2029.JPG

For my main entree I ordered the beet salad – it came with candied walnuts which tasted like bits of rock sugar!

IMG_2038.JPG

Everyone was kind enough to share tastes of their dishes with me as well:

IMG_2040.JPG

Gnocchi, Strip Steak, Pork Shoulder, Braised Lamb, and Pappardelle alla Bolognese

castagne.jpg

Everything was exquisite; my favorite dish was the Chestnut Mashed Potatoes (which we ordered for the table but I wound up eating most of)

IMG_2041.JPG

A combo of sweet and regular potatoes mixed with chestnuts – and a secret ingredient that I NEED to figure out so I can recreate this at home. Surprisingly it was not sugar/honey/syrup – so sweet! Almost like dessert.

Speaking of which…

Dried Fig and Hazelnut Cake with Vanilla Gelato

IMG_2052.JPG

Chocolate and Cherry Bread Pudding

IMG_2053.JPG

Attacked by 6 forks

IMG_2057.JPG

We waddled back to Abe’s parents’ place afterwards to cap off a perfect evening with our favorite activities

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

(I won!)

Le Castagne on Urbanspoon

1 VeggieGirl April 3, 2011 at 6:22 am

Oooh lovely presentation of the food! I’m partial to the desserts though ;)

Love Scattergories!

2 TheCreamFilling April 3, 2011 at 6:38 am

Chestnut mashed potatoes sound divine! Please recreate and post so that I can make some too :P

3 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) April 3, 2011 at 7:00 am

I want that gelato!

4 biz319 April 3, 2011 at 7:18 am

What a delicious looking dinner out! I’ve never even heard of chestnut mashed potatoes – check out this link though!

Enjoy your Sunday!

5 actorsdiet April 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

thank you for the recipe!

6 Cindy April 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

Love a good puppy cuddle! I would love to try those mash potatoes. I’ve not had anything close to that. Curious. Very curious.

7 katecooks April 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

Looks like a great dinner…so sweet that everyone shared :) I wish I had some chocolate cherry bread pudding right now! And I’m such a potato fiend….chestnut mashed sound awesome!

8 kaitlinwithhoney April 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

Chestnut. Mashed. Potatoes? Sign me UP!

9 Ada April 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

Holy yum, that looks like one amazing feast! Chestnut mashed potaotes? Genius! Scattegories is the best game, by the way;)

In regards to your comment, One Lucky Duck is really delicious, but I’m not sure if the space is ideal for a meeting. There are only three tables and it’s pretty cramped and noisy. The food definitely makes it worth it though!

10 seekingrecoveryandbliss April 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

Chestnut mashed potatoes? Sounds amazing! :)

11 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

Chestnut mashed potatoes? Is this another word for ambrosia??

Two of my favorite foods combined into one dish? I would have been fighting everyone off in order to keep all of the mashed potatoes for myself :-)

12 MarathonVal April 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Abe + Julius together are just adorable!

13 Mimi April 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Chestnut mashed potatoes sounds divine. Watch the secret ingredient be some raw vegan superfood like mesquite or yacon that the chef thinks he’s oh so clever for slipping in.

14 kimmiyori April 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Our condolences to you and Abe. How is it that seeing what you’ve eaten and been up to can be so fascinating?
Doug checks in regularly to get inspiration for what to eat. He made your Irish Oats and berries with almond butter the other day and agreed that it did keep him going all morning.