To the Shore and Back Again

April 2, 2011

in sandwich, soup/stew, travel

I don’t think I’ve mentioned this, but the reason for our quick trip east is Abe’s grandmother, who passed away in January. The official services are tomorrow, but today a small group of us piled into a rental van for a little memorial in Beach Haven, NJ (where she often vacationed)

IMG_1952.JPG

Appropriate music from her time on satellite radio!

IMG_1953.JPG

My breakfast:

IMG_1948.JPG

The clouds parted and the sun shone down right as we were on the beach!

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

Afterwards we had lunch around 2:30 at nearby Buckalews

IMG_1978.JPG

Dinner reservations at 7:30 so I ordered just a soup (Manhattan Clam Chowder)…

IMG_1994.JPG

…knowing full well I’d be stealing bites. Some of Abe’s Portabello, Veggie, and Cheese

IMG_1992.JPG

and David’s crab cake sandwich (too salty)

IMG_1991.JPG

A whole bunch of fried foods! Half of these surprisingly yummy french fries

IMG_1995.JPG

And a couple reeeeeally long sweet potato ones

IMG_1993.JPG

My favorite were these Toasted Onion Battered Green Beans

IMG_1987.JPG

I filled up on a few too many of those, with Ranch and Sweet Soy dipping sauce.

On the drive back we quickly stopped by Evergreen Dairy Bar for soft serve

IMG_1997.JPG

Just a taste

IMG_1998.JPG

Now we’re off to dinner! I’m still full so I’m sure I’ll just wind up eating off of everyone’s plates again…

Evergreen Dairy Bar on UrbanspoonBuckalew's Restaurant & Tavern on Urbanspoon

1 Jan Schifter April 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

what a lovely get together for Bubs.

2 vanillasugarblog April 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

aww sorry about abe’s grandma. that was a nice little ceremony. and the sun came out at the perfect time. very nice.
i cannot wait for summer and all that ice cream that needs taste testing! right? it’s a tough job but i’m ok with that.

3 Diane April 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Very nice get together. Looks like the weather cleared up a little there..

Those Onion Roasted Green Beans look mighty yummy. Gonna try to make them sometime.. Could be an innovative appetizer.

Have a good weekend!

4 hippierunner April 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Sounds like it was a lovely memorial.

Abe’s burger looks sooo yummy, portabellas can do no wrong!

5 Mimi April 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Abe’s nana. I lost mine no too long ago and I know it has left an aweful hole.
My warm wishes and prayers are being sent your way.

In other, happier news, last night I saw source code and the entire time I watched it, I thought of you! The supporting female… christina, i think.. (played by Rachel or michelle moynahan?)
Just reminded me of you! I must have said to myself at least 5 or 6 times “Lynn is perfect for this role! She could play it SO much better!!”
I have been crossing my fingers for your “huge” audition! I really Really hope you get a call back!
even if you don’t, I sincerely believe that its only a matter a time before you’re such a big star you’ll have to start dodging nosy TMZ reporters!

6 Cindy April 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Glad you were able to get together to acknowledge Bubs. Big hugs to you and Abe. I know she was very special to you all.

7 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I am glad the weather cleared up so that there was perfect weather for the memorial.

The onion battered green beans look amazing.

8 easylifestyles April 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I love to travel all over the world. I really enjoy reading your blog very much. Thanks for sharing this post.

Vacation Travel Tips