L-I-V-I-N

March 16, 2011

in fast food, travel

Abe and I decided to spend our last day at SXSW away from the madness of The Convention Center. IT HAS BEEN AWESOME.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Richard Linklater’s “Dazed and Confused.” This morning I looked up where it was filmed in Austin, and was shocked to see that our hotel was 5 minutes away from one of the locations!!!

Top Notch is a fast food burger joint where you can eat in or order from your car

Abe and I were both car hop virgins!

Once you decide what you want, you press the red button

And talk to the friendly voice on the other side…

…that guy!!!

Then someone else brings the food out, and you tip ‘em (I had to consult on twitter re: that etiquette)

We both got veggie burgers – which came charbroiled with tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard and ketchup

Plus a side of fried okra. Okra is probably the one food on earth that I don’t like (slime) but when fried, I will eat a lot of them!!!

(It was funny that Abe had to get out of the car to get ketchup.)

Our flight to San Francisco isn’t until 7:45pm, so we killed time all around the city.

At Goodwill…

A candy shoppe….

BE STILL MY HEART:

An outdoor market on SoCo

We got to the airport super early. The lines were insane! This was my first time getting pulled aside at security.

She literally took a piece of cloth and wiped my hands. Huh???

We have a long night ahead of us – another hour before our flight checks in, a transfer…I won’t be in bed til well after midnight. But we had such a lovely day; I’m in a good mood and don’t care! Also, I just got a nice call from my manager re: my audition that I put on tape the other day…the response from casting so far has been very positive!!! I’m still highly skeptical that anything will happen (I firmly believe they’ll end up offering the role to an A-list actress) but I’m just happy to hear good feedback.

Who knows, if enough of you keep wishing for that iPad2 ….

Top Notch on Urbanspoon

1 VeggieGirl March 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Love carhops! So retro.

Good luck with your long night!

2 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) March 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I can’t eat okra..even fried. My childhood memories of the smell and slime have scarred me for life. Security I ‘m sure was super fun! Have a safe trip home!

3 Melinda March 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm

IPads are wonderful but I’m wishing for your dreams to come true!

4 jessica o'brien | jessohbee March 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm

i think the wiping is for chemical residue. when scott and i flew last we brought our stainless steel (earthlust brand) water bottles. of course we brought them empty, so we could fill ‘em at a drinking fountain once we crossed through to the other side. they swabbed our hands and the bottle exteriors and said it is done every time!

5 Serena March 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Do you eat at the same location where you order from? Could you press the red button to get ketchup? With all your travels, this being your first time to be pulled aside is a pretty good run. :)

6 Parry Shen March 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

If you had been touching any bomb making materials, that cloth would’ve turned black and you would’ve had a lot of explaining to do. Profiled newbie.

7 Kelli March 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Fried Okra is best when dipped in Ranch, lol

8 Amanda March 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm

LOL wiping your hands? So weird.

Still thinking of you and the audition!!!! :)

9 lowandbhold March 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm

That’s awesome. Love that movie.

Think positive! Every A-list actress had to start somewhere!

10 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

LOVE that movie. I always quote it at the beginning of every school year– “I keep gettin’ older…they stay the same age.”

Mmmmm, I love okra– especially fried!

11 mitzi song March 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm

that place reminds me of sonic’s! fried okra looks so good. i guess anything fried is good ;)

12 Lauren March 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm

We have a place like this at home called The Red Rabbit. They bring burgers out to your car on roller skates. Only I don’t think they have Veggie Burgers. That would be fantastic though! Have a safe flight.

13 simplyshaka March 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I never Dazed was filmed in Austin–that’s Aussome–bad joke!!

Love okra any way you make it. The first time I had it was at Cracker Barrel when I worked there and it was fried but then I tried baked okra and adore it that way.

14 simplyshaka March 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm

*never knew

I love when I forget words!

15 Cindy March 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Congrats on getting high marks for your audition. You’ve made me very homesick for Austin. I put breaded fried okra in the same addictive category as fried plantains, dumplings and chocolate. Maybe that should be my last meal. :) Safe travels.

16 Gail March 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm

What a great day for you and Abe. Of course I grew up going to places with car hops. Congrats on being with the A list folks, at least with the audition. Wonderful. Have a great time in SF.

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’ve never been to a drive through like that but I really want to! It seems so retro!!

18 Pure2raw twins March 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Dazed and confused, love that movie! A classic one for my group of friends!

I always tend to get pulled aside at the airport, ugh

19 quinn March 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Exciting news about your audition tape…crossed fingers for you!

I made okra pickles when I lived in Colorado. Sitting on the front porch in the summertime, eating okra pickles and drinking beer – a perfect memory!

20 Mymy March 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I have a feeling this will be your bob break!! Go Lynn!

21 Mymy March 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm

“big” … sorry ;)

22 Lauren March 16, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Good luck, Lynn! It’s an immense honor that they requested an audition and complimented your work. At the very least, if this one doesn’t work out, you left them with a great impression for the next opportunity!

23 claire March 16, 2011 at 9:54 pm

that definitely is one of my favorite films! that veg burg looks so delicious! I’m still crossing my fingers for you to get that part!

24 Lindsay March 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Looks like you have had a great time!! And as for the part…it could happen, and we are all excited for that ipad!! As a fellow performer myself, the waiting period is the WORST! Blah! Loved the look of that candy shop (too cute!) and welcome back to Cali!!

25 Walking E March 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm

FYI: Dazed & Confused plays Wednesday night, June 15 at South Coast Village theater (across the street from South Coast Plaza). Sure, it would be a long drive for you to see a movie, but sometimes it’s fun to see something in the theater instead of on the TV. :-)

26 Andrea@WellnessNotes March 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Your lunch is one of my unfulfilled fantasies! :) How fun!

Hope you had a good flight to SF! Sorry I will miss seeing you! Have fun!!!

27 LeQuan March 17, 2011 at 12:31 am

Still keeping my fingers crossed for that iPad2 ;-). Good luck with that! Glad you guys had a great time. Hope the flight was good.

28 Teresa March 17, 2011 at 2:40 am

I’m repeating myself, but you’ll always be on my A-list! ;)