Kerbey Lane

March 11, 2011

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, brunch, travel, vegetarian

I almost had a heart attack this morning! They couldn’t find my computer at the airport baggage services desk – turned out it was stored in a different area but that took 30 minutes to figure out. Once Maggie Mac and I were reunited, we stopped by the Convention Center to pick up our SXSW bags/badges…

…then headed to meet some of the Surrogate Valentine crew for breakfast!

Kerbey Lane Cafe has a few locations – this is the original.

There’s a wait, but free wi-fi!

Sooooo many options. Lots of vegan-friendly items as well!

A number of readers recommended their pancakes. I couldn’t decide between pumpkin (the seasonal specialty) or gingerbread

The waitress suggested a short stack of both <—Genius

I shared with Abe. Here’s the Migas + verde sauce:

Although the eggs/rice/beans rocked, the pancakes were disappointing (particularly the gingerbread). They were lukewarm and needed a lot of syrup (which wasn’t very good, either).

We spent the rest of the afternoon napping and shopping (there’s a mall within walking distance of my hotel!). Tonight, we start SXSW-ing! Christy’s movie, “Sound of My Voice,” is playing so I want to try to see that. There’s also Tech Munch (a food blogger conference) going on in Austin, but I think I may have to skip the opening party and focus on one festival at a time.

Oh yeah – and my podcast interview with Ready, Set, Wife is live! I don’t have time to listen to it right now, but if you do, lemme know how it turned out!!!

Kerbey Lane Cafe (Allandale/Brentwood) on Urbanspoon

1 janetha March 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Wow that is such a cute spot! 91% is awesome. That’s too bad about the pancakes.

2 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] March 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been to Austin once, and I totally ate at Kerbey Lane! :P

3 Amy @ Second City Randomness March 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I LOVE hitting up an “original” location. You get the “this is where it all started” feeling. Along with usually being cute and cozy…

4 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) March 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

That stinks about the pancakes. The rest looks amazing though! Have fun tonight!

5 theexperfectionist March 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

mmmm That looks great. If I’m ever in Austin… :)

6 Cindy March 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oooohhhh Nooooooo! I’m heartbroken and stunned you had crappy pancakes. I’m not surprised by the free wifi there. They used to have a sign in the window that said, “Bibliophiles Welcome.” Hope your food experience picks up while you are in town.

7 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

yay Kerbey Lane!! LOVE that place and go every time I’m in Austin :)
The tacos are delish! And I love their lunch/dinner menu- the chile rellenos are so good! (If they still have them..it’s been a while!)

8 Sues March 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Looks like so much fun!! I’m totally jealous your at SXSW and getting to eat all the yummy Austin food :) Have a blast!

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Oh my gosh….is it just me, or do those pancakes look like actual cookies?! YUM!!

10 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel March 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm

yea i can see how the pancakes weren’t as good as they sounded. i mean they still look great but they also look a little dry and spongy just from the texture. but the rest of the food looks REALLY YUMMY! <3

11 Pure2raw twins March 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm

oh no sorry about the pancakes….but they looked good.

off to check out your podcast

12 kimbirdy March 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm

oh man, i’m so glad you got your computer back safe and sound. i would have had a heart attack if i’d thought i lost mine! i hope everything goes swimmingly for you this weekend. have a great time!

13 Runeatrepeat March 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Even with the less-than-stellar review, I now want pancakes.

14 Monet March 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

You were so close to my house :-) How fun! I’m not a big fan of their pancakes either. But it can be a fun place to go late at night. I hope we can connect!

15 Lindsay March 12, 2011 at 1:28 am

So glad they sorted out the missing mac…I would have had a panic attack!! And although the pancakes were less than scrumptious, the rest of your plate made my tummy growl!! have a great trip!!

16 mariepear March 12, 2011 at 7:42 am

next time try the bluberry, they are to die for!

17 eatdreamtravel March 24, 2011 at 9:45 am

Love the pics of Kerbey Lane and especially the migas w/verde sauce! I think it might be my favorite meal in the whole world.