New Orleans, Revisited

February 20, 2011

in crockpot recipe, dessert, dinner, soup/stew, vegan

It’s funny how much NOLA stuff we can get right here in Los Angeles – no need to bring back souvenirs from our December trip!

Records picked up at Amoeba

…Zapp’s Potato Chips found at World Market

Never got to try these during our vacation since I was sick half the time; made up for it last night by eating half of both bags!

Even the weather was reminiscent of NOLA – complete with thunder and lightning

The Crockpot Vegan Red Beans and Rice turned out wonderful! I was worried about the watery consistency so I used the immersion blender during the last hour of cooking

Everyone got 3 ladles, a big scoop of brown rice, and a scattering of scallions

Spices were spot-on!

Potato chips for crunch

The longer it sat out, the thicker it got – especially once I combined all the rice. Looking forward to lots of leftovers:

No brainer for dessert

I had 1/4 of each Hubig’s flavor

Have to say, these were my least favorite of their fried pies I’ve sampled so far (yes, even the chocolate!) – Coconut and Sweet Potato are the way to go.

Lots and lots of grape munching til midnight

Entertainment provided by Julius Chenwald

…who used Cousin Amy as a jungle gym

1 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) February 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

I want a fried pie!

2 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

oh, that soup looks good!!!! i love addition of scallions on top!!

3 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

The beans and rice looks delicious! For some reason it got me craving gumbo:-)

A big pot of soup sounds so warming. It is cold and rainy here – hmm, I will have to see if I any good ingredients on hand for a soup/stew.

4 annie February 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

i must make!

5 quinn February 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

That bowl looks fantastic! Now my mouth is watering. I should know better than to read this blog between meals ;)

6 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Whew! Now THAT looks right! Glad it turned out well! You KNOW I love this post ;-)

7 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I loved it!!! Thanks again for the recipe

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

8 MarathonVal February 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm

That looks delicious!!! I remember when you came back from NOLA and you said you miss it and at the time I didn’t get what was so great about it… honestly, I really can’t express what a great time we had – so, so much fun. I can’t wait to go back!! I’m planning to recreate some veganized NOLA meals soon myself…

And I’m late saying this since I haven’t been reading blogs in awhile, but congrats on the new blog! Very exciting!

9 edenseats February 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm

NOLA is definitely on my “to visit list”. I hate to admit it, but mainly for the fried pie…..I love me some gumbo too and there is a great little hole in the wall at the fairfax farmers market that has pretty decent gumbo!

10 katshealthcorner February 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Hehe, I love grapes too! Do you prefer the red, white, or black ones? seeded or seedless?

11 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

i prefer seedless but with the rest – i don’t discriminate!

12 Des February 22, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Nothing better than red beans and rice. Well, maybe a plate full of beignets. You have an excellent blog here. I’ve enjoyed reading through it.