Soaked

February 19, 2011

in breakfast, crockpot recipe, Nutrition, vegan

I was up in the kitchen first thing today!

We’re having some peeps over for a dinner inspired by our New Orleans trip and I wanted to serve Red Beans and Rice. Anna was kind enough to send me her mom’s crock pot recipe; I made a few adaptations.

Start by soaking 1 lb. of Red Kidney Beans overnight. This morning, I drained and boiled them in some fresh water, to remove the dangerous PHA

I hadn’t heard about this toxin until recently – you can read more about the links between kidney beans and cooking here. I don’t know if it’s for real or not, but I would rather not risk it! Basically, you want to boil them for 10 minutes before putting them in the crockpot. Just to be safe, I did it for 15.

Once done, I drained, then poured them into my slow cooker with the following -

Chopped veggies: 1 big yellow onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 bunch of scallions (saving the tops for garnish later)

Dried herbs/seasonings: 2 TB parsley, 2 TB Basil, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp. Marjoram, 1/4 tsp. Thyme, 2 dashes Hot Sauce, 12 grinds of black pepper, 1 TB salt, 2 TB fresh ground garlic…

I used 1/2 a jar of leftover marinara in lieu of a 4 oz. can of tomato sauce

1 TB vegan worcestershire sauce + this Veggie Broth concentrate from TJ’s

4 packets total for 4 cups of water. The recipe calls for 2 quarts, but I used 1/2 of that, since it was already filled to the brim!

The instructions were to set on low for 8 hours – I cranked it on high for the first 4 (super paranoid about those beans!)

I also soaked my brown rice at the same time – something I’m usually too lazy to do, but learned in my macrobiotic days that it increases the nutritional value and digestability. (I think it tastes better too.)

Since I was already standing in front of the stove, I also cooked breakfast!

Instant Oatmeal Pancakes made with Maple and Brown Sugar Oat Fit + egg whites, topped with Pumpkin Butter and a whole banana

Later in the afternoon I snacked on 1/2 a honeydew to keep the appetite revved for tonight’s dinner

Do you soak your rice? Have you ever heard of red kidney bean poisoning?

1 It All Changes February 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I learned to soak my rice from my Cuban friend because it makes the rice so much better with sofrito.

I’ve heard about the kidney bean thing but I make my red beans and rice in the rice cooker so they are heated through.

2 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

The kidney bean toxin is true. I haven’t soaked rice either, but my rice cooker says to for the brown rice.

3 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I don’t soak my rice, and I had never heard about the poisoning. I use canned beans usually.

4 Shirley February 19, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I plan on trying this recipe. So, my question is, once you’ve cooked the red beans and the rice, do you combine the two OR you just plate the rice and pour the beans over or vice versa?

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m not sure of the “right” way! Check back tomorrow to see what ends up happening – am going to eat now!!!

Acting: http://www.lynnchen.com Food: http://www.theactorsdiet.com Body image: http://www.thickdumplingskin.com

6 chrysta February 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm

whoa! weird! Ive never heard of red kidney bean poisoning..interesting…Great sounding recipe though!! Thanks for sharing. Have an awesome weekend!

7 Maria February 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That’s pretty crazy. I’m really glad I grew up eating pinto beans. . .though my mom cooked them in a clay pot that probably had lead in it. So much to be scared about when it comes to our food!

8 Lauren February 19, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’ve never even heard of Red Kidney Bean poisoning. It sounds awful. Good thing to know!

9 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm

huh, i’ve never soaked my rice or heard of that bean poisoning! that’s crazy!

10 Olivia February 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I love Giada!! That brekkie looks delish, I love me some oats with bananas:)

11 Cindy February 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Hmmm? Not heard of the red kidney bean poisoning. Though I don’t use that type of bean when making red beans and rice. My favorite to use is anasazi beans. I have soaked my rice, but rarely do. If I want a special little punch I on rare occasion will toast the rice…a quick toss in oil until it gets a light golden color….works great with orzo pasta too.

12 LeQuan February 19, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Hmm…interesting, I’ve never heard of the red kidney bean poisoning. Thank you for sharing that, Lynn. I’ve never soaked my rice, only wash.

13 Erica February 20, 2011 at 6:15 am

I have never heard of kidney bean poisoning! Thats craziness. Thanks for the info. And red beans and rice is such an awesome dish. I’m sure your guests loved it.

14 annie February 20, 2011 at 9:20 am

i have not heard about red kidney beans and toxins! scary!

i soak my brown rice for days!

15 lowandbhold February 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

I haven’t heard of that! Seems like there’s always some new scary thing to deal with. Luckily I don’t often cook dry kidney beans but I will remember that if I ever do!

16 balancejoyanddelicias February 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I used to soak brown rice overnight but now that I got a nice rice cooker I don’t need to soak it anything and the resulting rice is even puffer than soaking 24 hs.

17 quinn February 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

About the beans…I’ve heard about it but have to wonder why, if this is such a problem, there haven’t been a zillion cases identified in the US by now. That said, I take a “better safe” approach with kidney beans – soaking overnight then rinsing and boiling in fresh water for 10 minutes before slowcooking. I haven’t soaked rice, but I will now – thanks for that tip!

18 cleaneatingmama March 25, 2012 at 5:22 am

When you transfer the beans to the crockpot, do you drain the water?

19 Lynn at The Actors Diet March 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

yes! drain first. thanks for catching that – i just updated the post…