Who’s the Laziest of Them All?

February 9, 2011

in dinner, gluten free

I’ve been wanting to use up my stash of rice paper for a while, but have been too lazy to make the spring rolls I originally bought them for.

Then, I noticed that these…

…are the same size as this

Immediately, I thought casserole. Asian casserole! A coconut curry sauce? Layers of bean sprouts and tofu? But I didn’t have any ingredients on hand for that.

Here’s what I did have

Giada’s pasta sauce from Target

I followed my recipe for lazy lasagna, using a package of frozen spinach (pressed), 3 TB egg whites, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 whole tub of cottage cheese

Layer as usual – sauce, rice paper…

…spinach mixture, rice paper…

…all the way to the top (5 pieces) with a sprinkle of parm cheese

45 minutes at 375 (covered with foil for the first half hour) – let cool for 10 before cutting

“Laziest Lasagna”

As you can see, it’s not really layers, more of a blob. In fact, you can’t really taste the rice paper at all – it sorta melts into the rest of the casserole, and adds a nice gooey texture. If you’re gluten-free and miss lasagna, try this – both Abe and I really liked it!

Giada's marinara, by the way, is delicious.

I followed dinner with more gluten-free goodies

Frozen fruit because I was too lazy to wash and chop anything fresh

What should I do with the rest of those rice paper wrappers? Other than spring rolls (or lasagna)?!?

1 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) February 9, 2011 at 8:43 am

I want to do sandwiches or burritos with rice paper. I saw it done the other day on the Cooking Channel and am intrigued. They did some sort of pork sandwich I think.

2 Candace February 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

What a great use for the package(s) of rice paper in my pantry! It looks delish!

3 Tracy February 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

That’s pretty ingenious of you to use the rice paper for lasagna!

4 Silvia @ skinny jeans food February 9, 2011 at 9:00 am

I LOVE Giada’s marinara (and other) sauces! They are the best!

Interesting lasagna with rice paper ;-)

5 Andrea@WellnessNotes February 9, 2011 at 9:04 am

What a creative use for the rice paper! Sounds yummy!

6 Felicia February 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Mm! That sounds delicious. Great idea!

7 Karen February 9, 2011 at 9:24 am

Try out soft rice paper rolls in Vietnamese style. Simple one for a lazy day~

Video and recipe is below:

8 members1sttest February 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

This is the first I have seen rice paper for lasagna noodles. I love it!

I would suggest making spring rolls but you advised against that. Hmmm..

9 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oh, I love any recipe that uses things like rice paper that I will buy for one recipe and then the bulk of the package just sits in the back of my fridge forever. Now I can use it up!

10 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 9, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh man– I had a package of rice paper wrappers for the LONGEST time because I was too lazy to make spring rolls with them…which I eventually finally did :-) This “lasagna” looks delicious!

11 Ameena February 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I really love that Giada sauce – it is delicious!

12 annie February 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

what a great idea!!

13 lowandbhold February 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

Sounds great! I’ve never even made a lasagna, lazy or otherwise.

14 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine February 9, 2011 at 11:59 am

you’re so creative!! I can’t think of anything else to do with the wraps besides tear them up and add them to a brothy soup…

15 nobel4lit February 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oh, interesting use of rice paper! I also have a bunch sitting around…

16 lequan February 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I don’t know if you consider these spring rolls or not. I just call them Vietnamese wraps. Could definitely do this with tofu and shredded cabbage or bean sprouts for Abe also. This is how I finish leftover meat or seafood from hot pot.

17 DessertDarling February 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Oooh- wow!! I want to try that lazy lasagna!!!!

18 Mariko February 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

That is such a good idea. I’ll tell my gluten-free friend too. Love all that green in there. Yummmm.

19 Walking E February 10, 2011 at 12:11 am

Does it really say “Course Ground Tomatoes” on Giada’s ingredient list?? Are those tomatoes prepared on the fairway at Pebble Beach or Riviera or something? ;-)

20 Layla Falcon August 30, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi,
I very loosely adapted this recipe. I soaked the sheets and made a completely different sauce and soaked the rice paper and use four sheets in sted of one to divide layers. Our family can’t have dairy so I used homemade homous insted of cheese. Oh My Gosh It was good! It’s my new favorite food :).
And as for Ideas for what to use rice paper for…
Deep fry it in hot oil . It puffs up beautifully. Mmmmmmmm…

21 Lynn @ The Actor's Diet August 31, 2013 at 7:02 am

Thanks Layla!!! I’m glad it worked out. Love the idea of adding bulk to the layers.