Kobawoo

January 27, 2011

in lunch, restaurant

I never did get back to sleep, but I did eat a morning snack in bed!

Kept it light, to make maximum room for a lunch date with Jacy.

There was a long line outside, just like when I ate pho next door with Kate the other night

No wonder “Kobawoo” sounded so familiar! I was surprised when I pulled into the same crowded lot.

Read about their weekday specials on Midtown Lunch, and had my heart set on one thing:

I already knew there was going to be an obscene amount of food, so we decided to share the Bosam and Miso Stew.

First comes banchan!

Cucumbers, daikon/seaweed, eggs, and kimchee. We wound up eating two full orders of these complimentary side dishes – they kept bringing them out! Didn’t even have to press this mysterious waiter bell (which I’m convinced doesn’t really go anywhere)

Ready for the feast

Prepare the hands

First up:

Take a vessel (we started with daikon) and fill…

…soft and buttery pork belly…

…fermented shrimp, daikon, and jalapeno…

Repeat, many many many more times, with pickled napa cabbage

Along with the bosam came a sizzling soybean paste stew, filled with tofu, zucchini, shrooms, and scallions

I ate half of that with my rice…

…and when that was done I polished off the rest of the bowl with the second round of banchan

We dominated that lunch special!!!

Split amongst 2 – this may be the best bang for the buck I’ve ever had!!!

Can’t believe that was just ONE meal! Don’t believe I could’ve handled another dish on my own. So many more things I want to try – I’ll be back again, but probably closer to 2pm to avoid the lunch rush. By the time we left, both the restaurant and lot were much emptier. But man, we were full!!!

Kobawoo on Urbanspoon

1 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 27, 2011 at 5:10 pm

That’s a ridiculous amount of food for the price. Love it! :) I’m craving Korean food after this post.

2 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine January 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm

ohhhh wow that all looks amazing!!! The soybean paste soup is making my mouth water! You are SO SO lucky to get to go to all of these awesome places- I live a foodie life vicariously through you.

3 Cindy January 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Wow!! and Yum!! and Wow!! Hard to believe that was one order. Did I say Wow!!?

4 Lauren January 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm

SAY WHAT? All of that food for $10????? That’s unheard of!!

5 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

What an amazing lunch special!!! I love complimentary dishes…they make me so happy inside! :-)

6 Mimi January 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

That looks awesome! I need to hit that up when I get back to the States!

7 Candace January 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I am blown away by the amount of food you got for the $$. It all looks so good too! I have never eaten Korean food but I definitely have to try it. I can’t wait to see what you have next. :)

8 Gail January 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

worth a trip to LA for this lunch.Wow!!

9 Ruby W. January 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love Korean food because they give you a lot of side dishes for free. I like meals with lots of variety. Plus, most of their side dishes are veggie based so I like it even more.

10 lequan January 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm

What a super deal! I can’t believe all that was for 2 people and so cheap! Everything looked so good, even the pork belly and I don’t even eat pork. You always find the best places!

11 serena January 28, 2011 at 1:28 am

crazy amount of food. I’m actually in town. Might give this place a try.

12 Pure2raw twins January 28, 2011 at 6:18 am

Food looks great, but that price makes it even better!!!

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 28, 2011 at 6:56 am

SERIOUSLY? All that food for 10 bucks?? That’s worth the plane trip to CA in itself!

14 lowandbhold January 28, 2011 at 7:33 am

Sounds great! I’ve never had anything like that, but think I would have loved it!

15 Erica January 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

Wow! That is a great deal for a lunch! And so many different and yummy looking options!! I always love eating with others who photograph their food haha

16 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 28, 2011 at 8:22 am

That reminds me of this place by me called Joy Yee. Reasonably priced and you get SO much food. It all looks delicious!!

17 Susan January 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

Gobawoo is my fav place to get Bossam!! That lunch special is a great deal!

18 eric January 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Are you ever self-conscious about whipping out the camera and photographing your food in restaurants? I am, though I’m not sure why. I’m largely OK shooting with the iPhone, but some meals demand the DSLR treatment and I usually look around to make sure no one sees me, as if it’s somehow sneaky or criminal to photograph one’s own food.

19 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 29, 2011 at 10:01 am

i got a canon s95that i got specifically bc it’s small and doesn’t need flash in low light. since i photograph every single thing i eat, it’s just habit and i am no longer embarrassed or self conscious. it’s actually gotten me free extras from restaurants!

20 Andrea@WellnessNotes January 29, 2011 at 7:58 am

Your lunch looks great!!!

21 katecooks January 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

i can’t believe you ended up at a restaurant right next to the one where we ate, that’s wild! looks like you got a big bang for your buck. i especially like the stew mixed with rice, yum!