Pho Real

January 21, 2011

in beauty, blogger meetup, breakfast, dessert, dinner, restaurant

Fried food goes a long way! I wasn’t very hungry most of yesterday; consumed some audition fuel around 11

Organic lowfat cottage cheese, strawberries, and Justin’s Peanut Butter (heated and thinned into a sauce)

By the time I felt a rumbly in the tumbly again it was very late in the afternoon. Dinner plans were in a few hours so I ate nature’s perfect snack…

….which left me with a voracious appetite at 7 for my Date with Kate

She came all the way to my side of town to get our Pho on

It may look like we were the only ones at Simply Pho You but the place did fill up at one point. The food comes out so quickly that most people were in and out, while we lounged around chatting for over an hour!

First comes the raw onions (look away Kath) which we doctored up ourselves with table condiments

Oyster sauce + chili paste

Then we customized our soups as well!

I ordered the Pho Ga (Chicken) and asked for some veggies to be thrown in

Basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, and lime

More rooster sauce

Mmmmm! Everything was nicely flavored, even the noodles. I tried a sip of Kate’s tofu pho (this is the only place in K-town I’ve found that has a vegetarian option) and the seasoning in that was delightful as well.

Did a decent job of finishing everything, save a few bites of onions and broth

On the drive back, we stopped by Koo’s Grill for dessert.

Kate’s first Ho Dduk (and my second!)

We ate the sticky sweet rice pancakes while wandering around the grocery store, which was blasting Madonna at 9:30 pm.

As if my ladies’ night out couldn’t have been more perfect, Kate hooked me up with some LOOT

I don’t think I’ve ever owned such pretty polishes! O.P.I. has the cutest names for their colors too – I can’t wait to slather my nails in “I’m Suzi and I’m a Chocoholic.”

Julius might want his paws painted too.

Simply Pho You on Urbanspoon

1 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

I need to make those rice pancakes! They look so good! Rooster goes so well on Pho! Looks like a tasty meal! Oh, and I thought about you this morning when my son said he really hopes he gets the part he wants in the school play. It kind of broke my heart just a little with him worrying about it. I hope you get your part too!

2 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 21, 2011 at 9:53 am

Confession: I’ve never had pho soup. I always intend to, then something else on the menu looks better…tofu pho sounds tasty though!!

3 katecooks January 21, 2011 at 9:54 am

i’ve been at work stalking your blog to read about dinner last night. not that i was there and know exactly what we did or anything like that :)

love it! you’re the cutest. i am going to recap tonight or tomorrow…wanted to do it on my lunch break today but i have a lovely meeting scheduled from noon – three instead. ah well! i have a great shot of you and your PHO!

4 ChezJulie January 21, 2011 at 10:09 am

Srirachi!!!!!

5 biz319 January 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

What a great blogger date night! OMG, the fact that they have sriracha on each table – I would have joined you in a heart beat!!

6 emily (a nutritionist eats) January 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Next time I come to LA, can we please get pho?!? :)

7 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm

yes ma’am! abe hates it so i think the only way i can get to go is with bloggers!

8 thestudentsdiet January 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

What are all of your O.P.I. colors? I love that company!

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

“we’ll always have paris,” “baguette me not” “suzi and the lifeguard” (which i just put on – it’s a pale shimmery pink) and “i’m suzi and i’m a chocoholic”

10 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

That soups looks so freakin’ good!!! I am a soup addict. I don’t think I have ever had a soup that I didn’t like!!

11 Cindy January 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Pho!!! Soooooooo overdue.

12 lequan January 22, 2011 at 12:18 am

Have you ever tried Bun Bo Hue? It’s a spicy version of Pho. I think you might like it. I’ve yet to do a recipe post on that. I’m such a slacking blogger. More of a stalker. Ha! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

13 mary @ blitzandglitz.com January 24, 2011 at 8:58 am

what a great blog! i’ll be visiting often. thanks for making http://www.blitzandglitz.com/ a part of your pho date! you’ve inspired me to pay a visit to my husband’s fav, Chicago’s Pho 777!