Food Rules!

January 15, 2011

in dinner, lunch, restaurant, salads, sandwich

Sorry, Michael PollanI’m not big on rules when it comes to what I eat. But yesterday some random “food lessons” revealed themselves to me and I thought I would share them with you!

Lesson #1 – If you put Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter on ANYTHING it will taste amazing.

I smeared it on one side of Oliver’s Whole Grain Bread (dijon on the other) and it brought this sandwich to gourmet status!

The salami was a free sample from The Foodbuzz Festival (remember when I was so surprised to find meat in my SWAG bag?)

Lesson #2 – The best red apples aren’t necessarily the “Red Delicious” ones. They can be PINK!

This organic “Pink Lady” was straight outa Snow White – it was CRIMSON! I know they say the redder does not necessarily mean the better, but this apple tasted particularly phenomenal, partially because I was so taken with her beauty.

Lesson #3 – Any bread is addictive, if heated and served with good olive oil

I’m actually not that crazy about the baskets they bring at Prado, yet I always ask for seconds!

Last night I devoured 3 hunks, dipped in garlicky, herby goodness

Lesson #4 – If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I have been to Prado dozens of times, and always wind up ordering the same thing. Have never regretted it.

The Caribbean Cobb Salad with Grilled Chicken:

Lesson #5 – Encourage your dinner date to explore different foods…

…so you can steal tastes of something new!

Lesson #6 – If a salad is filled with properly marinated ingredients and chopped finely enough, you won’t need a drop of dressing…

…or cheese!

Lesson #7 – Eating mostly protein REALLY satisfies. I polished off all the chicken and brought these salad leftovers home. So satiated I didn’t even need dessert last night (who AM I?!?)

Lesson #8 – Groupon rocks. With tip, this meal cost a little more than half of what it would normally, but we still saved bank!

Lesson #9 – Marry someone like Abe.

Woops, that wasn’t food-related. But it’s the best lesson I’ve learned.

1 wendy January 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

Aww I like lesson #9!

My favorite thing that I’ve learned from reading your blogs is your oat bran & egg whites. Have you ever had pumpkin butter with oat bran? I wanna try it!

Do you have a good marinade for chicken? I hate making chicken cuz I can never get it quite right.

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

yes pumpkin butter is DELCIOUS in oat bran. in everything! literally everything! also, no chicken marinade recipes. i don’t know how to cook meat at all!

3 Shanna, like Banana January 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

Pumpkin butter and mustard? Now that’s a combo I wouldn’t have though of!

I’m suddently very hungry for bread by the way!

4 Cindy January 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

Will have to try TJ’s Pumpkin Butter!! Alas, no TJ’s here. One more reason to move West. ;)

Happiest you have Abe. He’s a good one!

5 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat January 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

Groupons ARE addictive! I may have a problem… Also, my belief is adding olive oil to anything makes it healthy. Power of the mind :-)

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 15, 2011 at 11:20 am

Aaww, lesson 9 is adorable :D

And lesson 1- so true!! That stuff is addictive.

7 Amy @ Second City Randomness January 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

I always love with a restaurant gives you really good bread… not just some reheated bread sticks, but REALLY good bread. Sigh…

8 wendy lee January 15, 2011 at 11:32 am

I like your rules- they are much more fun than Michael Pollan’s. Your last rule is the most special; alas, it is not one that others have access to but it’s nice that you feel that way!

9 emily (a nutritionist eats) January 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Awwww, the last rule is so sweet Lynn!! I meant to look for that Pumpkin Butter when I was at TJ’s this morning but totally forgot! Reason to go back soon :)

10 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I live my life by rule number 3 ;)

11 Girl January 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ooh! I never thought to put TJ’s pumpkin butter on a sandwich!!! Looks delicious. Hmmmm hungry now…

12 chezjulie January 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

How funny… I was munching on a rule #2 when I started reading your post! For some reason I haven’t seen them in the grocery lately. When I saw some beautifully colored organic ones, I had to have them.

No TJ’s here. Sniff, sniff.

Rule #9 is the best.

13 KeepItSweet January 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Never would have thought to use the Trader Joes pumpkin butter that way, love it!

14 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I love this! Life is full of lessons…food related or otherwise! I am with you…that apple must have come from heaven! I am loving some pink ladies right now too!

15 Simply Life January 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

oooh delicious meal!

16 vanillasugarblog January 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm

awww Abe is not smiling? lolol
i am with you on that pumpkin butter. amen.

17 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Hi……….. I haven’t been here forever!! I missed your lovely blog posts! I resubscribed (because I don’t know where you went) and am looking forward to reading again!!!

18 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I love bread dipped in olive oil … and balsamic too!!

19 Tina January 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I like #5, I tend to “suggest” menu items for my boyfriend to order just so I can steal a bite, I think he’s onto me though!

20 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love the last rule. So sweet! AWWW~!

21 lequan January 15, 2011 at 11:33 pm

AWWW! Loved lesson #9, too sweet! Yay Abe! Way to treat a girl the way she deserves to be treated :-D